How Do You Write Position Vectors in Unit Vector Notation?

In summary, a steel ball is launched from a ballistic launcher at different angles. At an angle of 30.0◦, the ball lands 30.0 cm from the far end of the table. At an angle of 45.0◦, the ball lands on the floor. The coordinates of the edge of the table are (0,0). To write an expression for the position vector, first write the x component, then the y component, and finally combine both using unit vectors ##\hat{\imath}## and ##\hat{\jmath}##.
Kieran Hughes

Homework Statement

A steel ball is fired from a ballistic launcher at different angles. The launched ball has been found to travel from the edge of a table to land 30.0 cm from the far end of the table when starting from the height of the table and launched at an angle of 30.0◦ above the horizontal. When launched at 45.0◦ , the ball easily clears the table to land on the floor.
Letting the edge of the table from which the ball was launched have coordinates (x(0),y(0))=(0,0), write an expression for the x and y components of the object’s position vector. Next, write an expression for the full position vector.
I am trying to figure out how to write this expression. Underneath this explanation on my sheet I have a rx,30◦=x30◦=______, and a ry,30◦=y30◦=_______ and below that r(with -> on top)30◦(t)=______. I am confused as to write this, including the i-hats and j-hats unit vectors.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the break down such as A = Ax + Ay = Axi + Ayj and so on, but where to put the numbers 0 and such are confusing me. I hope this format is correct for the forum!

Attachments

• 111gps1[1](1).pdf
    45.1 KB · Views: 758
Physics news on Phys.org
Kieran Hughes said:
I am trying to figure out how to write this expression. Underneath this explanation on my sheet I have a rx,30◦=x30◦=______, and a ry,30◦=y30◦=_______ and below that r(with -> on top)30◦(t)=______. I am confused as to write this, including the i-hats and j-hats unit vectors.
First write the expression in x, then in y, then combine both using ##\hat{\imath}## and ##\hat{\jmath}##.

Kieran Hughes said:
I understand the break down such as A = Ax + Ay = Axi + Ayj and so on, but where to put the numbers 0 and such are confusing me. I hope this format is correct for the forum!
If you start with the individual components, you won't have to worry aobut the zeros. But you can also write a zero as ##0\hat{\imath} + 0\hat{\jmath}##.

Related to How Do You Write Position Vectors in Unit Vector Notation?

1. What is unit vector notation?

Unit vector notation is a way of representing vectors in a mathematical format where the magnitude of the vector is 1. It is represented by a unit vector with a hat symbol (e.g. ȳ).

2. How is unit vector notation used in physics?

In physics, unit vector notation is used to represent the direction of a vector. It is often used in equations and calculations involving forces, velocities, and accelerations.

3. What is the difference between a unit vector and a regular vector?

A unit vector has a magnitude of 1, while a regular vector can have any magnitude. Unit vectors are used to represent direction, while regular vectors represent both magnitude and direction.

4. How do you find the unit vector of a given vector?

To find the unit vector of a given vector, divide the vector by its magnitude. This will result in a vector with a magnitude of 1, in the same direction as the original vector.

5. Why is unit vector notation important in mathematics and science?

Unit vector notation is important because it allows for a standardized way of representing vectors in equations and calculations. It also simplifies calculations involving direction, making it easier to solve complex problems in physics and other sciences.