How Do You Write the Diagonalized Moment of Inertia Tensor in Einstein Notation?

Iij (where you sum over j, since it's a true matrix)In summary, The person was trying to write the moment of inertia tensor in Einstein notation and was confused on how to write it when diagonalizing the matrix. They realized that they were stuck writing Iij and would have to remember certain conditions for Iii and Ii≠j. They also mentioned that in practice, it doesn't matter since either they only need one element or the whole matrix.
frogjg2003
While taking notes in class, I was trying to write the moment of inertia tensor in Einstein notation as Iij instead of a 3x3 matrix, but when we diagonalized the matrix with diagonal elements Ii, I was confused on how to write it. Ii doesn't work because that means that treats it as a vector, instead of a matrix. Iiδij doesn't work for the same reason. Iiδjk doesn't work either because now it's a 3x3x3 tensor. Is there a way to write this out, or am I stuck writing Iij and having to remember that Iii=Ii and Ii≠j=0?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi frogjg2003! :smile:
frogjg2003 said:
Is there a way to write this out, or am I stuck writing Iij and having to remember that Iii=Ii and Ii≠j=0?

you're stuck! :biggrin:

in practice, it doesn't matter

since either you only want one Iii, eg I11 (where there's no summation under the einstein convention anyway, because it only applies to dummy indices)

or you want the whole matrix

Related to How Do You Write the Diagonalized Moment of Inertia Tensor in Einstein Notation?

1. What is Einstein notation?

Einstein notation, also known as Einstein summation convention, is a mathematical notation used to express and manipulate equations involving tensors. It involves using Greek indices to represent the dimensions or components of a tensor, and summation signs to indicate that the equation holds for all possible values of the indices.

2. Why is Einstein notation used?

Einstein notation is used because it allows for a more compact and efficient representation of equations involving tensors. By using indices, it avoids the need to write out multiple terms and enables the expression of complex equations in a more concise and general form.

3. How does Einstein notation differ from regular notation?

Einstein notation differs from regular notation in that it uses indices to represent the dimensions or components of a tensor, whereas regular notation typically uses subscripts and superscripts. Additionally, Einstein notation involves the use of summation signs, which are not typically used in regular notation.

4. What are some common mistakes made when using Einstein notation?

One common mistake when using Einstein notation is forgetting to include summation signs when they are necessary. Another mistake is using the same index for two different summations in the same equation. It is also important to ensure that indices are properly contracted or summed over in order to obtain a valid result.

5. How can I learn more about Einstein notation?

There are many resources available for learning about Einstein notation, including textbooks, online tutorials, and video lectures. It is also helpful to practice using the notation with various examples and equations to develop a better understanding of its applications and limitations.