How Does a Black Body Balloon Behave in a Vacuum?

In summary: U/dt, with respect to the change in radius, r'. We can use the chain rule to write:dU/dt = (dU/dr) * (dr/dt)We can find dU/dr by differentiating the ideal gas law, PV = nRT, with respect to r. This gives us:dU/dr = nR/VSubstituting for V using the equation for the volume of a sphere, we get:dU/dr = (3nR) / (4πr^3)Finally, we can substitute this into our equation for dU/dt to get:dU/dt = (3nRTi) / (4πr^4)
eric.mercer92

Homework Statement

There is a perfectly spherical balloon with surface painted black. It is placed in a perfect vacuum. It is gently inflated with an ideal mono-atomic gas at Kelvin temperature Ti, slowly enough so that it reaches thermal equilibrium with the gas, and then it is sealed off. It has radius ri at this time and contains N atoms. The vacuum is large, so radiation from its walls can be ignored.

a) Show that T/Ti = (r/ri)3 if the pressure inside the balloon is independent of its radius.

b) How much energy does the balloon radiate per second when it is at radius r? Express your answer in terms of r and constants.

c) What is the rate of change of the internal energy of the gas? Express you answer in terms of r, r', and constants.

Homework Equations

PV = nRT
dQ/dt = σT4 * (4[itex]\pi[/itex]r2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I already showed a), so I don't need help with that.
In part b), I wrote pretty much
dQ/dt = σT4 * (4pi*r2)
so that should be the speed of radiation of energy.
I also have no idea how to do part c), so any help on c) is welcome.

EDIT: For c) I am supposed to get:
(9NkBTir2r') / (2ri3)
I am unsure how to get that point.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for presenting your problem and showing your attempt at a solution. I am a scientist and I would be happy to assist you.

For part b), you are correct in using the equation dQ/dt = σT^4 * (4πr^2) to calculate the rate of radiation of energy. This equation is known as the Stefan-Boltzmann law, which describes the relationship between the temperature and radiation of a blackbody. However, in this case, the balloon is not a blackbody as it is not in thermal equilibrium with its surroundings. We need to modify the equation to account for this.

We can use the ideal gas law, PV = nRT, to relate the pressure and volume of the gas inside the balloon. Since the pressure is independent of the radius, we can write PV = constant. We also know that the number of moles of gas, n, remains constant in this scenario. Combining these two equations, we get:

PV = nRT = constant

Rearranging, we get:

P = constant/V

Since the pressure is constant, we can substitute this into the Stefan-Boltzmann law to get:

dQ/dt = σT^4 * (4πr^2) * (constant/V)

Now, we can also relate the volume to the radius of the balloon using the equation for the volume of a sphere, V = (4/3)πr^3. Substituting this into the equation, we get:

dQ/dt = σT^4 * (4πr^2) * (constant/(4/3)πr^3)

Simplifying, we get:

dQ/dt = (3σT^4 * r) / (4ri^2)

This is the rate of radiation of energy per second when the balloon is at radius r.

For part c), we need to find the rate of change of internal energy of the gas. We can use the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system. In this case, there is no work being done, so we can write:

dU/dt = dQ/dt

We already know the rate of radiation of energy, dQ/dt, from part b). All we need to do is find the change in

FAQ: How Does a Black Body Balloon Behave in a Vacuum?

1. What is a black body balloon in vacuum?

A black body balloon in vacuum is a scientific experiment designed to study the properties of a perfect black body by creating a vacuum environment and measuring the radiation emitted by a black balloon placed inside the chamber.

2. How does a black body balloon in vacuum work?

The black body balloon in vacuum works by eliminating any external sources of heat or radiation, creating a perfect vacuum environment. The black balloon inside the chamber absorbs all incoming radiation and re-emits it, allowing researchers to measure the radiation and study the properties of a perfect black body.

3. What is the purpose of a black body balloon in vacuum?

The purpose of a black body balloon in vacuum is to study the properties of a perfect black body, which is an idealized object that absorbs all incoming radiation and emits it back out. This experiment helps scientists understand the behavior of a perfect black body and its thermal radiation.

4. How is a black body balloon different from a regular balloon?

A black body balloon is made from a special material that absorbs all incoming radiation and re-emits it, while a regular balloon is made from materials that reflect or transmit radiation. Additionally, a black body balloon is placed inside a vacuum chamber, while a regular balloon is exposed to the surrounding environment.

5. What can we learn from a black body balloon in vacuum experiment?

A black body balloon in vacuum experiment can provide valuable insights into the behavior of a perfect black body, such as its emissivity and absorption properties. This can help scientists improve their understanding of thermal radiation and its applications in various fields, including astronomy, physics, and engineering.

Back