How Does a Car's Oscillation Amplitude Change on a Washboard Road?

• Thread starter Mindscrape
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, the amplitude of oscillation for a car with a mass of 1000 kg traveling at a constant horizontal speed of 20 km/h over a washboard road with sinusoidal bumps, with an amplitude and wavelength of 5.0 cm and 20 cm respectively, can be found by first calculating the spring constant, which is equal to 9.8*10^4 N/m. Then, the frequency of bumps can be determined by multiplying the car's speed by the frequency of bumps (1 bump/0.2 m), resulting in a frequency of 27.7 bumps/sec. Using Newton's second law and setting up a differential equation, the amplitude of oscillation can be found by solving for the steady-state
Mindscrape

Homework Statement

A car with mass 1000 kg, including passengers, settles 1.0 cm closer to the road for ever additional 100 kg of passengers. It is driven with a constant horizontal component of speed 20 km/h over a washboard road with sinusoidal bumps. The amplitude and wavelength of the sine curve are 5.0cm and 20cm, respectively. Find the amplitude of oscillation of the automobile, assuming it moves vertically as an undamped driven harmonic oscillator. Neglect the mass of wheels and springs and assume that the wheels are always in contact with the ground.

Homework Equations

Newton's second law

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright first thing I did was figure out the spring constant.
I know that kx = mg when the car has the 1000 kg, and that k(x-0.01) = (m+100)g. So use equation one and substitute into equation 2, such that k(x-0.01) = kx + 100g. Solve for k and you get that k = 9.8*10^4 Nm.

Next thing is to solve for the frequency of bumps.
I am looking for some function [tex] y(t) = cos(\omega t) [/tex], where there would be some sort of phase that I don't really care about since the amplitude is all that matters in the end. So [tex] \omega = 2 \pi f [/tex] where f is the frequency that the car travels over the bumps. The car travels at 5.5m/s (I converted), and so at 1bump/0.2m multiply it by the velocity and the frequency is 27.7 bumps/sec; hence, [tex] \omega = 27.7*2*\pi = 1.74*10^2 rad/s[/tex] and the forcing function is [tex]y(t) = 0.05cos(174t)[/tex].

At this point, I made the differential equation based on Newton's 2nd law.
[tex] \sum_i F_i = m\frac{d^2 y}{dt} [/tex]

Figure out which forces are in the picture (gravity, spring force, and the forcing frequency).

[tex]m \ddot{y} = -mg + ky + 0.05cos(174t) [/tex]

rewrite in terms of homogeneous and particular ODEs (and divide by m)

[tex]\ddot{y} - \omega_0^2y = -g + \frac{0.05cos(174t)}{m}[/tex] where [tex]\omega_0 = \sqrt{k/m}[/tex]

then we are concerned with just the steady-state (i.e. particular) solution, and guess that it will be [tex]y(t) = A + Bsin(174t) + Ccos(174t)[/tex], which gives

[tex] -174^2 Bsin(174t) - 174^2 C cos(174t) + \omega_0^2 A - \omega_0^2 Bsin(174t) - \omega_0^2 Ccos(174t) = 5*10^-5cos(174t) - g[/tex]

relate the linear and trig terms to show that
[tex] A = - \omega_0^2 / g[/tex]
[tex] B = 0 [/tex]
[tex] -174^2C - \omega_0^2 C = 5*10^-5[/tex]
such that
[tex]C = \frac{5*10^-5}{(-174^2 + \frac{9.8*10^4}{1000}})[/tex]

C will give the amplitude of oscillations, but it seems really small (it works out to -1.64*10^-9. I'm pretty sure I did something wrong, but I don't know what.

Physics news on Phys.org
The units don't come out correctly for your final answer... you should get meters, but you get [tex]\frac{meters*sec^{2}}{kg}[/tex]
Your final answer needs to be multiplied by the spring constant k = 98000 [tex]\frac{N}{m}[/tex] and then you get -1.61x10^-4 meters.

Your problem is with the forcing function: you cannot plug in 5 cm into the forcing function because the forcing function looks like y(t)=Fcos(wt), where F is FORCE.

Therefore, you need to figure out what force, hence name, forcing function, is being applied to the washboard. The force in the forcing function is the spring constant from the suspension system times the amplitude of the washboard sine wave (5 cm, they give you that). Now you got a number in Newtons, hence you get force.

If you re-calculate this, you find out that the final answer is -1.61x10^-4 meters (the units come out very nicely), which is about 0.161 mm

Last edited:

Dear student,

Your approach to the problem is correct, however, there are a few errors in your calculations. Let me guide you through the correct solution.

Firstly, you have correctly calculated the spring constant as 9.8*10^4 N/m.

Next, let's calculate the frequency of bumps. The car is traveling at 5.5 m/s and the wavelength of the sine curve is 20 cm, which means that the frequency of bumps is 5.5/0.2 = 27.5 Hz. Therefore, the angular frequency is ω = 2πf = 27.5*2π = 173.1 rad/s, which is slightly different from your calculation.

Next, we need to write the differential equation based on Newton's second law. The forces acting on the car are the gravitational force (mg), the spring force (kx) and the driving force (F = 0.05cos(173.1t)). This gives us the following differential equation:

m\ddot{y} = -mg + k(y-0.01) + 0.05cos(173.1t)

Now, we need to convert this into a homogeneous and particular ODE. Dividing both sides by m, we get:

\ddot{y} + \frac{k}{m}(y-0.01) = -g + \frac{0.05}{m}cos(173.1t)

Substituting the values of k and m, we get:

\ddot{y} + 98(y-0.01) = -9.8 + 0.00005cos(173.1t)

Now, we need to find the particular solution. We can guess that it will be of the form y(t) = A + Bsin(173.1t) + Ccos(173.1t). Substituting this in the above equation, we get:

-98Bsin(173.1t) - 98Ccos(173.1t) + 98A - 98Bsin(173.1t) - 98Ccos(173.1t) = 0.00005cos(173.1t) - 9.8

Simplifying this, we get:

98A = -9.8
B = 0
C = 0.00005/(-

Related to How Does a Car's Oscillation Amplitude Change on a Washboard Road?

1. What is a washboard road?

A washboard road is a type of unpaved road with a series of parallel corrugations or ridges that run perpendicular to the direction of travel. These ridges resemble the ridges on a washboard, hence the name.

2. How does driving on a washboard road affect my car?

Driving on a washboard road can cause vibrations that can affect your car in several ways. It can lead to discomfort for passengers, damage to suspension and steering components, and can also cause the car to lose traction and stability.

3. Why are washboard roads so common?

Washboard roads are often found in rural or remote areas where there is less traffic and the road surface is not well-maintained. They can also be caused by heavy vehicles repeatedly driving on the road, causing the surface to become uneven and corrugated.

4. How can I drive safely on a washboard road?

To drive safely on a washboard road, it is important to reduce your speed and maintain a steady pace. Avoid sudden braking or accelerating, as this can cause your car to lose traction. Additionally, make sure your tires are properly inflated and your suspension is in good condition to minimize the impact of the bumps.

5. Can washboard roads damage my car?

Yes, driving on a washboard road can potentially damage your car. The repeated vibrations and jolts can cause wear and tear on your suspension and steering components, and can also lead to loose bolts or screws. It is important to have your car inspected and serviced regularly, especially if you frequently drive on washboard roads.