How does a change of variables affect a double integral?

In summary: Delta u \Delta v) = \iint_R f(x, y) dA$$The partial derivatives ##x_u, x_v, y_u,## and ##y_v## are computed at the point whose image is the middle of the rectangle ##R_{ij}##. You can see the same procedure in the case of triple integrals.
RingNebula57
If we expres cartesian cordinates in polar coordinates we get:

x=r*cos(theta)
y=r*sin(theta)

let's differentiate those 2 eqs:

dx= dr cos(theta) -r* d(theta) * sin(theta)
dy=dr sin(theta) + r* d(theta) * cos(theta)

why isn't dx*dy= r* dr* d(theta) ( like when taking the jacobian , or when doing geometric interpretation)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
##x## and ##y## may depend on ##r## and ##\theta.## Shouldn't it be partial derivative?

RingNebula57 said:

x=r*cos(theta)
y=r*sin(theta)

why isn't dx*dy= r* dr* d(theta) ( like when taking the jacobian , or when doing geometric interpretation)?

When you say "differentiate", what are you differentiating with respect to?

RingNebula57 said:

x=r*cos(theta)
y=r*sin(theta)

I assume you are speaking in the context of integration. When transforming to polar co-ordinates, it can be shown:

$$\iint_D f(x,y) \space dA = \iint_{D'} f(r \cos(\theta), r \sin(\theta)) \space dA'$$

Where ##dA' = J_{r , \theta} (x, y) \space dr d \theta##. We have to multiply the function by the Jacobian ##J## whenever an invertible transformation is used to transform an integral. It turns out:

$$J_{r , \theta} (x, y) = x_r y_{\theta} - x_{\theta} y_r = r$$

You can work this result out yourself by taking the partials of the transformation. Hence we can write:

$$\iint_D f(x,y) \space dA = \iint_{D'} f(r \cos(\theta), r \sin(\theta)) \space dA' = \iint_{D'} f(r \cos(\theta), r \sin(\theta)) \space J_{r , \theta} (x, y) \space dr d \theta = \iint_{D'} f(r \cos(\theta), r \sin(\theta)) \space r \space dr d \theta$$

Where the order of integration is still to be decided. It is very important to multiply by the volume element ##J## because you want to preserve the result of the integral (the transformation is one to one and onto).

Likes ShayanJ and RUber
tommyxu3 said:
##x## and ##y## may depend on ##r## and ##\theta.## Shouldn't it be partial derivative?
Imagine a third variable t, and we know x,y, r, theta are functions of t. So when you write the total derivative of x to respect to t we get:

dx/dt = d(partial)x/d(partial)r * dr/dt + d(partial)x/d(partial)(theta) * d(theta)/dt, and if you multiply by dt this equation , you get the above one.

I'm not sure what a total derivative has to do with this. Why don't we see how a change of variables is going to affect a double integral?

Suppose there is a rectangle ##R## in the arbitrary ##uv##-plane. Suppose further the lower left corner of the rectangle is at the point ##(u_0, v_0)##, and the dimensions of the rectangle are ##\Delta u## for the width and ##\Delta v## for the height respectively.

Now let's define an invertible transformation ##T: (u, v) \rightarrow (x, y)## such that the rectangle ##R## in the ##uv##-plane can be mapped to a region ##R'## in the ##xy##-plane. This transformation from the ##uv##-plane to the ##xy##-plane will be given by some ##x = g(u, v)## and ##y = h(u, v)##. For example, the lower left corner of ##R## can be mapped to the boundary of ##R'## by using ##T## like so:

$$T(u_0, v_0) = (x_0, y_0)$$
$$x_0 = g(u_0, v_0), \space y_0 = h(u_0, v_0)$$

Now, define a vector function ##\vec r(u, v)## to be the position vector of the image of the point ##(u, v)##:

$$\vec r(u, v) = g(u, v) \hat i + h(u, v) \hat j$$

Note the equation for the bottom side of the rectangle ##R## in the ##uv##-plane is given by ##v = v_0##, and the equation for the left side of the rectangle ##R## in the ##uv##-plane is given by ##u = u_0##. The image of the bottom side of ##R## in the ##xy##-plane is given by ##\vec r(u , v_0)##, and the image of the left side of ##R## in the ##xy##-plane is given by ##\vec r(u_0 , v)##.

The tangent vector at ##(x_0, y_0)## to the image ##\vec r(u , v_0)## is given by:

$$\vec r_u(u, v) = g_u(u_0, v_0) \hat i + h_u(u_0, v_0) \hat j = x_u \hat i + y_u \hat j$$

Similarly, the tangent vector at ##(x_0, y_0)## to the image ##\vec r(u_0 , v)## is given by:

$$\vec r_v(u, v) = g_v(u_0, v_0) \hat i + h_v(u_0, v_0) \hat j = x_v \hat i + y_v \hat j$$

We can approximate the region ##R'## in the ##xy##-plane by a parallelogram determined by the secant vectors:

$$\vec a = \vec r(u_0 + \Delta u, v_0) - \vec r(u_0, v_0) ≈ \Delta u \vec r_u$$
$$\vec b = \vec r(u_0, v_0 + \Delta v) - \vec r(u_0, v_0) ≈ \Delta v \vec r_v$$

So to determine the area of ##R'##, we must determine the area of the parallelogram formed by the secant vectors. So we compute:

$$\Delta A_{R'} ≈ \left| (\Delta u \vec r_u) \times (\Delta v \vec r_v) \right| = \left| \vec r_u \times \vec r_v \right| (\Delta u \Delta v)$$

Where we have pulled out ##\Delta u \Delta v## because it is constant. Computing the magnitude of the cross product we obtain:

$$\left| \vec r_u \times \vec r_v \right| = x_u y_v - x_v y_u$$

So we may write:

$$\Delta A_{R'} ≈ [x_u y_v - x_v y_u] (\Delta u \Delta v)$$

Where ##x_u y_v - x_v y_u## can be determined by evaluating ##g_u(u_0, v_0), h_v(u_0, v_0), g_v(u_0, v_0)##, and ##h_u(u_0, v_0)## respectively.

Now that we have formalized all of that, divide the region ##R## in the ##uv##-plane into infinitesimally small rectangles ##R_{ij}##. The images of the ##R_{ij}## in the ##xy##-plane are represented by the rectangles ##R_{ij}'##. Applying the approximation ##\Delta A_{R'}## to each ##R_{ij}'##, we can approximate the double integral of a function ##f## over ##R'## like so:

$$\iint_{R'} f(x, y) dA ≈ \sum_{i = 1}^m \sum_{j = 1}^n f(x_i, y_j) \Delta A_{R'} ≈ \sum_{i = 1}^m \sum_{j = 1}^n f(g(u_i, v_j), h(u_i, v_j)) [x_u y_v - x_v y_u] (\Delta u \Delta v)$$

Notice this looks like a typical Riemann sum. Now as ##m \to \infty## and ##n \to \infty##, the double sum converges to a double integral over ##R##:

$$\displaystyle \lim_{m \to \infty} \displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty} \sum_{i = 1}^m \sum_{j = 1}^n f(g(u_i, v_j), h(u_i, v_j)) [x_u y_v - x_v y_u] (\Delta u \Delta v) = \iint_R f(g(u, v), h(u, v)) [x_u y_v - x_v y_u] \space dudv$$

Where we usually write the Jacobian ##J = [x_u y_v - x_v y_u]##. So we can finally conclude:

$$\iint_{R'} f(x,y) \space dA = \iint_{R} f(g(u, v), h(u, v)) \space J \space dudv$$

This argument for an arbitrary ##(u, v)## space applies to polar ##(r, \theta)## space as well. In fact, this argument will apply for any kind of other invertible transformation ##T##.

Likes RUber and ShayanJ

Related to How does a change of variables affect a double integral?

1. What is the difference between Cartesian and polar coordinates?

Cartesian coordinates use x and y axes to represent points on a two-dimensional plane, while polar coordinates use a radius and an angle to represent points. This means that Cartesian coordinates use rectangular coordinates, while polar coordinates use radial coordinates.

2. How do you convert from Cartesian to polar coordinates?

To convert from Cartesian to polar coordinates, you can use the following equations:
r = √(x^2 + y^2)
θ = tan^-1 (y/x)
where r represents the radius and θ represents the angle.

3. What is the purpose of using polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are particularly useful in representing points in circular or symmetrical shapes. They can also simplify certain mathematical equations and make them easier to solve.

4. What are some real-life applications of polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are commonly used in navigation and mapping, as well as in physics and engineering for analyzing circular motion. They are also used in astronomy for representing the positions of celestial objects.

5. Can polar coordinates be used in three-dimensional space?

Yes, polar coordinates can be extended to three-dimensional space using a third coordinate, typically denoted as z. This creates a three-dimensional coordinate system known as cylindrical coordinates.