How Does a Cylinder Equation x² + y² = 2ay Represent Its Shape in 3D?

So the region bounded by the cone and cylinder can be visualized as a cylinder with a pointed top, and finding the volume will require a double integral calculation.In summary, to find the volume of the region bounded by a cone and cylinder, we can rewrite the given equation into standard form and visualize it as a cylinder with a pointed top. This will require a double integral calculation.
City88

Homework Statement

I have to find the volume of the region bounded by a cone and cylinder. (double integral style!)
I usually start off with a sketch, but I can't seem to figure out what this one quadratic surface looks like...

It's a cylinder (in 3-dimensional plane): x2+y2=2ay

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the equation of a cylinder is just x^2+y^2=a in 3-d. I also know the equations of a hyperbolic, oblique, and parabolic cylinder...but I don't think this is one of those.
Anyone willing to help me out, or at least point me in some sort of direction!
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try rewriting the equation into standard form:

[tex]x^2+y^2=2ay[/tex]
[tex] \Rightarrow x^2+y^2-2ay=0[/tex]
[tex] \Rightarrow x^2+(y-a)^2-a^2=0[/tex]
[tex] \Rightarrow x^2+(y-a)^2=a^2[/tex]

Which is the equation of a cylinder of radius a centered at (0,a) running parallel to the z-axis.

Related to How Does a Cylinder Equation x² + y² = 2ay Represent Its Shape in 3D?

1. What is a cylinder sketch in 3-d?

A cylinder sketch in 3-d is a visual representation of a cylindrical object in three-dimensional space. It shows the height, width, and depth of the object, as well as any curves or features that may be present.

2. How is a cylinder sketch in 3-d created?

A cylinder sketch in 3-d can be created using computer-aided design (CAD) software or by hand using drawing tools such as rulers, compasses, and protractors. The process involves representing the object in three-dimensional space and adding details to make it more realistic.

3. What is the purpose of creating a cylinder sketch in 3-d?

The purpose of creating a cylinder sketch in 3-d is to accurately represent a cylindrical object in three-dimensional space. This can be useful for visualizing and planning designs or for scientific and engineering purposes where precise measurements and dimensions are needed.

4. Are there any limitations to creating a cylinder sketch in 3-d?

One limitation of creating a cylinder sketch in 3-d is that it may not accurately represent complex shapes or objects with irregular curves. Additionally, the accuracy of the sketch may depend on the skill of the person creating it and the tools used.

5. How is a cylinder sketch in 3-d used in scientific research?

In scientific research, a cylinder sketch in 3-d can be used to visualize and analyze objects such as cells, molecules, and geological formations. It can also be used in simulations and experiments to predict the behavior of objects in real-world scenarios.