How Does a Harmonic Oscillator Behave When Traveling at Constant Velocity?

• Thread starter tamiry
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oscillator
In summary, the solution for the original momentum operator is given by <P> = P(0)cos(t)-X(0)sin(t) + v.
tamiry
hi,

i'm trying to see how does an HO, traveling with constant speed v looks like. suppose a unitless system
[tex]H = P^2+(X-vt)^2[/tex]
define
[tex]Y = X-vt[/tex]
then
[tex]H = P^2+Y^2[/tex]

i can see that [P,Y] = -i (unitless - no h-bar) so i guess it means that P and Y are conjugate space/momentum operators. therefore the solution for this is, using ehrenfest theorem
[tex]<Y> = Y(0)cos(t)+P(0)sin(t)[/tex]
[tex] <P> = P(0)cos(t)-Y(0)sin(t)[/tex]
where Y(0) is the expectation value of Y at t = 0 and the same for P(0).
now, going back to X, assuming the state is a square-integrable one
[tex]Y(0) = X(0) - v*0 = X(0)[/tex]
[tex]<Y> = <X-vt> = <X> - vt<state|state> = <X>-vt[/tex]
[tex]<X> = X(0)cos(t)+P(0)sin(t)+vt[/tex]
[tex] <P> = P(0)cos(t)-X(0)sin(t)[/tex]

now this makes some sense, <X> really oscillates around a value increasing with rate v, but P seems unchanged. I'd expect P to have a constant part as well, with size v since that is the constant velocity.
i've written the ehrenfest theorem equations for the original P,X and I've noticed that if I set P_new = P-v is solves those equations. so where did I get it wrong?

thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
for the help!You are on the right track, but you made a mistake. The P that you defined in the Hamiltonian H=P^2+Y^2 is the momentum operator associated to the Y coordinate, and not the original momentum operator P. To get the solution for the original momentum operator, you need to use the Ehrenfest theorem for the original P,X coordinates: <P> = P(0)cos(t)-X(0)sin(t) + v. This equation has the expected form, with a constant term v that represents the constant velocity of the HO.

FAQ: How Does a Harmonic Oscillator Behave When Traveling at Constant Velocity?

What is a traveling harmonic oscillator?

A traveling harmonic oscillator is a physical system that exhibits harmonic motion and also travels through space. It is often described mathematically using the wave equation and can be found in various phenomena such as sound waves and electromagnetic waves.

How does a traveling harmonic oscillator differ from a regular harmonic oscillator?

While both systems exhibit harmonic motion, a traveling harmonic oscillator also has a component of motion in space. This means that the oscillation occurs not only in time but also in space, creating a wave-like pattern.

What are some real-world applications of traveling harmonic oscillators?

Traveling harmonic oscillators can be found in many natural and man-made systems such as vibrating strings, sound waves, and electromagnetic waves. They are also used in technologies such as radio communication, radar, and medical imaging.

How is the speed of a traveling harmonic oscillator determined?

The speed of a traveling harmonic oscillator is determined by the frequency and wavelength of the wave it produces. The speed of the wave is equal to the product of the frequency and wavelength.

Can traveling harmonic oscillators be damped?

Yes, traveling harmonic oscillators can be damped through various mechanisms such as friction or resistance. This results in a decrease in the amplitude of the wave as it travels through space.