How Does a Hydro-Pneumatic Shock Absorber Respond to Impact in Thermodynamics?

In summary, the problem involves calculating the final pressure and stroke of a hydro-pneumatic shock absorber after it is hit by a 2 tonne train traveling at 5 m/s. The gas chamber of the absorber has a cylindrical geometry with a length of 800mm and a diameter of 0.5 m, and starts at a pressure of 5 bar. The equations used are PV^gamma=C and converting the train's momentum into kinetic energy. The final results are a stroke of 408 mm and a pressure of 8.12 bar. The assumption is made that the compression is adiabatic.
DarkBlitz

Homework Statement

A buffer at the end of a rail track consists of a hydro-pneumatic shock absorber. The gas chamber of the absorber has an cylindrical geometry consisting of a length of 800mm and 0.5 m diameter and a pressure of 5 bar. Calculate the final pressure and stroke if a 2 tonne train hits the buffer at 5 m/s

Answers: (408 mm, 8.12 bar)

Homework Equations

PV^gamma=C

The Attempt at a Solution

I've worked the initial volume to be 1.57m^3, but other than that I'm not sure how to go about the question. I'm assuming that the compression is adiabatic? Is this a correct assumption? Also how to I convert the momentum of the train into something I can use to calculate the answers?

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh snap. Just realized I can turn it into kinetic energy haha, Ill try that

Related to How Does a Hydro-Pneumatic Shock Absorber Respond to Impact in Thermodynamics?

What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical, simplified model of a gas that follows the ideal gas law. This means that the gas particles have no volume and do not interact with each other, and there is no energy lost during collisions.

What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It is written as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature in Kelvin.

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the study of energy and its transformations, particularly in relation to heat and work. It includes the principles of energy conservation and the transfer of heat, and is important in understanding the behavior of gases.

What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. This law is important in understanding the behavior of ideal gases and their energy exchanges.

What is absolute zero?

Absolute zero is the lowest possible temperature, at which the particles of a substance have no thermal energy. It is defined as 0 Kelvin or -273.15 degrees Celsius. At this temperature, an ideal gas would have zero volume and no kinetic energy, making it impossible to reach in reality.