How Does a Pellet Gun's Force Affect a Wall?

• Thread starter WarpDrive
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving a pellet gun firing pellets at a high speed and calculating the momentum and average force exerted on a wall. The person is having trouble understanding part b of the problem and their teacher has mentioned using integration. They are confused about how to use this to find Favg and are looking for clarification on the concept of impulse.
WarpDrive
I am having trouble understanding another of my homework problems.

A Pellet gun fires ten 2.14 grams pellets per second with a speed of 483 m/s. The pellets are stopped by a rigid wall. a) find the momentum of each pellet. b) Calculate the average force exerted by the stream of pellets on the wall. c) if each pellet is in contact with the wall for 1.25ms, what is the average force exerted on th ewall by each pellet while in contact? Why is this so different from b?

I got the answers to a and c, but I don't understand b. My teacher mentioned something about integrating something, but I don't understand what. I know that J = Favg*deltaT and J = integral(F dt), but how do I use that to find Favg? He said you get an answer of something per second, because of the integral, but I'm just getting more and more confused about it.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You realize that [tex]J = F_{ave} \Delta t[/tex], but what else does impulse equal? Answer/hint: The change in momentum.

As a fellow scientist, I can understand your confusion with this problem. Let me break it down for you and hopefully provide some clarification.

Firstly, let's define some terms. Momentum is the product of an object's mass and velocity, and it is a measure of its motion. In this problem, each pellet has a mass of 2.14 grams and a velocity of 483 m/s. Therefore, the momentum of each pellet can be calculated using the formula p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

a) To find the momentum of each pellet, simply plug in the given values into the formula p = (0.00214 kg)(483 m/s) = 1.034 m/s.

b) Now, let's consider the average force exerted by the stream of pellets on the wall. To do this, we need to understand the concept of impulse. Impulse is the change in an object's momentum, and it is equal to the average force exerted on the object multiplied by the time it is in contact with the object. Mathematically, it can be represented as J = Favg * deltaT, where J is impulse, Favg is average force, and deltaT is the time interval.

In this problem, the stream of pellets is in contact with the wall for a very short period of time (1.25 ms or 0.00125 s). Therefore, we can assume that the change in momentum is equal to the final momentum, which is zero, since the pellets are stopped by the wall. Hence, we can write the equation as J = (0 - 1.034) = Favg * 0.00125. This simplifies to Favg = -827.2 N, which is the average force exerted by the stream of pellets on the wall.

c) Now, let's compare this result to the average force exerted on the wall by each pellet while in contact. This can be calculated by dividing the average force (Favg) by the number of pellets (10) and the time interval (0.00125 s). Therefore, Favg per pellet = -827.2 N / (10 * 0.00125 s) = -66.176 N.

So why is this different from the value we obtained in part b? This is because in part b, we were calculating the average force exert

FAQ: How Does a Pellet Gun's Force Affect a Wall?

1. What is the "Pellet Momentum Problem"?

The "Pellet Momentum Problem" is a physics problem that involves determining the velocity of a pellet that is shot from a pellet gun. This problem is commonly used in introductory physics courses to demonstrate the principles of momentum and conservation of momentum.

2. How is the "Pellet Momentum Problem" solved?

The "Pellet Momentum Problem" is typically solved using the equation P = m*v, where P is the momentum of the pellet, m is the mass of the pellet, and v is the velocity of the pellet. This equation can be rearranged to solve for the velocity of the pellet, given the mass and momentum.

3. What are the factors that affect the momentum of a pellet?

The momentum of a pellet is affected by its mass and velocity. In general, the greater the mass and velocity of the pellet, the greater its momentum will be. Additionally, external factors such as air resistance and friction can also affect the momentum of a pellet.

4. How does the "Pellet Momentum Problem" relate to real-world situations?

The "Pellet Momentum Problem" is a simplified version of real-world situations involving collisions, such as car accidents or sports collisions. It helps to demonstrate the principles of momentum and conservation of momentum, which are important in understanding the dynamics of these real-world situations.

5. What are some common misconceptions about the "Pellet Momentum Problem"?

One common misconception is that the velocity of the pellet will always be the same as the speed of the pellet gun. In reality, the velocity of the pellet is affected by factors such as air resistance and friction, and may be lower than the speed of the pellet gun. Another misconception is that the momentum of the pellet will change after it is fired, when in fact, the total momentum of the system (pellet and gun) remains constant due to the principle of conservation of momentum.

Back