How Does a Pendulum on a Rotating Arm Behave When the Arm Stops?

In summary, the conversation discusses a pendulum suspended on an arm and the displacement of the mass in the horizontal plane when the arm suddenly stops. The momentum of the arm and the suspended mass are mentioned, and there is a question about equating angular momentum to linear momentum. The problem statement is deemed incomplete due to lack of initial conditions and it is suggested to use the Euler-Lagrange formalism to find a solution.
volican
Scenario

There is a pendulum suspended on an arm that rotates a certain angle in the horizontal plane. The arm suddenly stops, how far will the mass of the pendulum be displaced in the horizontaly?

Thought so far:

The momentum of the arm will be L=IW and when it stops I think the mass at the end of the rope will have this amount of momentum. I know that momentum is conservative, is it valid to equate angular momentum to linear momentum. If so, knowing the momentum of the suspended mass how could I work out how this would translate to horizonal displacement?

Is my thinking ok or am I off. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
volican said:
Is my thinking ok or am I off
Yes and yes, in that order.
If you don't tell us what L, I or W is your account is hard to follow. I suspect dimensional errors in your thinking:
volican said:
is it valid to equate angular momentum to linear momentum
No, they have different dimensions.

The problem statement is, anyway, incomplete: you do not mention any initial conditions at all.

[edit] This question fits very well in the context of your other threads. My advice would be to try and re-write your post #1 into a complete example problem statement using the template:

Homework Statement

include initial conditions. These can be general (difficult) or very simple -- so simple this whole problem amounts to having initial conditions for a spherical pendulum and you can forget about the boom altogether

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

and then work it out with the Euler-Lagrange formalism

Last edited:
Likes Nidum

Related to How Does a Pendulum on a Rotating Arm Behave When the Arm Stops?

What is a pendulum on a rotating arm?

A pendulum on a rotating arm is a simple mechanical system that consists of a pendulum attached to a rotating arm. The arm rotates around an axis, causing the pendulum to swing back and forth.

What is the purpose of studying a pendulum on a rotating arm?

Studying a pendulum on a rotating arm can help us understand the principles of oscillatory motion and how it is affected by external forces. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering and physics.

How does the rotation of the arm affect the pendulum's motion?

The rotation of the arm affects the pendulum's motion in several ways. It can change the period or frequency of the pendulum's oscillations, alter its amplitude, and introduce additional forces such as centrifugal force and Coriolis force.

What factors influence the behavior of a pendulum on a rotating arm?

The behavior of a pendulum on a rotating arm is influenced by factors such as the length of the pendulum, the mass of the pendulum, the speed of rotation of the arm, and the angle at which the pendulum is released. Other external factors like air resistance and friction can also affect its motion.

What are some real-world examples of pendulums on rotating arms?

Pendulums on rotating arms can be found in various applications, such as grandfather clocks, amusement park rides, and Foucault pendulums used to demonstrate the rotation of the Earth. They are also used in mechanical engineering to study the effects of vibration on structures and in gyroscope systems for navigation.