How Does a Quotient Module Relate to Its Generators in a Local Ring?

In summary, the theorem states that if a local ring R has maximal ideal J, and M is a finitely generated R-module with V=M/JM, then a basis for V over R/J is also a minimal set of generators for M. This is proven by showing that the sum of the basis elements in M generates M, and that M and JM share the same cosets. However, this proof may cause some discomfort as the equality of M and M+JM does not necessarily imply the equality of M/JM and M.
Artusartos
Let [itex]R[/itex] be a local ring with maximal ideal [itex]J[/itex]. Let [itex]M[/itex] be a finitely generated [itex]R[/itex]-module, and let [itex]V=M/JM[/itex]. Then if [itex]\{x_1+JM,...,x_n+JM\}[/itex] is a basis for [itex]V[/itex] over [itex]R/J[/itex], then [itex]\{x_1, ... , x_n\}[/itex] is a minimal set of generators for [itex]M[/itex].

Proof

Let [itex]N=\sum_{i=1}^n Rx_i[/itex]. Since [itex]x_i + JM[/itex] generate [itex]V=M/JM[/itex], we have [itex]M=N+JM[/itex]...(the proof continues)

Question

Something in this proof is making me feel uncomfortable. Why is it true that [itex]M=N+JM[/itex]? I understand that any element of [itex]N+JM[/itex] is of course an element of [itex]M[/itex]. Also if [itex]m \in M[/itex], we have [itex]m + 0 \in M+JM[/itex]. Since the [itex]x_i +JM[/itex] generate [itex]M/JM[/itex], we (obviously) have [itex]m \in N+JM[/itex].

But then we also have [itex]M=M+JM[/itex], right? Because for [itex]m \in M[/itex], we have [itex]m + 0 \in JM[/itex]. Since elements of [itex]M[/itex] and [itex]JM[/itex] are obviously contained in [itex]M[/itex], their sum [itex]M+JM[/itex] must also be contained in [itex]M[/itex]. This means that [itex]M = M + JM[/itex]. But does this not imply that [itex]M/JM = M[/itex]? Because elements of [itex]M/JM[/itex] are of the form [itex]m+JM[/itex] for [itex]m \in M[/itex], right?

This theorem (and proof) is from (0.3.4) Proposition in here [http://www.math.uiuc.edu/~r-ash/ComAlg/ComAlg0.pdf] [1]

[1]: http://www.math.uiuc.edu/~r-ash/ComAlg/ComAlg0.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
##M\supseteq N+JM## and because ##N## contains a basis of ##V##, we have equality.
You cannot conclude anything from ##M=M+JM##. Factoring by ##JM## yields by the isomorphism theorem
$$
M/JM = (M+JM) /JM \cong M/(M\cap JM) = M/JM
$$
and nothing is achieved. If ##JM## is a proper nontrivial submodule, then ##M/JM## is neither ##\{\,0\,\}## nor ##M##. E.g. ##J=2\mathbb{Z} \subseteq \mathbb{Z} = R = M## yields ##M/JM=\mathbb{Z}_2##.

Related to How Does a Quotient Module Relate to Its Generators in a Local Ring?

1. What is a quotient module?

A quotient module is a mathematical structure that is formed by taking a module and dividing it by a submodule. It is similar to the concept of quotient groups in abstract algebra.

2. How is a quotient module different from a quotient ring?

A quotient ring is formed by taking a ring and dividing it by an ideal, while a quotient module is formed by taking a module and dividing it by a submodule. The main difference is that in a quotient ring, the elements are multiplied together, while in a quotient module, the elements are added together.

3. What is the significance of quotient modules and rings?

Quotient modules and rings are important in abstract algebra because they allow us to study structures that are more complex and have more complicated operations. They also help us to understand the structure and properties of the original module or ring by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable pieces.

4. How are quotient modules and rings used in real-world applications?

Quotient modules and rings have applications in various areas of mathematics, such as number theory, algebraic geometry, and coding theory. They are also used in physics, particularly in the study of symmetries and conservation laws in quantum mechanics.

5. Can quotient modules and rings be infinite?

Yes, both quotient modules and rings can be infinite. In fact, many important examples of quotient modules and rings are infinite, such as the quotient of the integers by a multiple of an integer or the quotient of a polynomial ring by a polynomial.