How Does a Rock Climber Use Friction to Climb?

• Thread starter uberbandgeek6
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the conversation is about a rock climber weighing 55 kg who is climbing a "chimney" between two rock slabs. The static coefficient of friction between her shoes and the rock is 1.1, and between her back and the rock it is 0.80. The climber has reduced her push against the rock until her back and shoes are on the verge of slipping. The question is what is the magnitude of her push against the rock and what fraction of her weight is supported by her shoes. The conversation then discusses setting up an equation using the coefficients of friction and the climber's weight, and analyzing the horizontal forces to determine the relationship between the two coefficients.
uberbandgeek6
A 55 kg rock climber is climbing a "chimney" between two rock slabs with her shoes on one side and her back against the other. The static coefficient of friction between her shoes and the rock is 1.1; between her back and the rock it is 0.80. She has reduced her push against the rock until her back and her shoes are on the verge of slipping. What is the magnitude of her push against the rock, and what fraction of her weight is supported by her shoes?

Okay, so I think I should set it up like this (though I'm not sure if this is right):
friction(shoes) + friction(back) = weight

I plugged in the numbers and now I have:
(1.1)*(N1) + (0.8)*(N2) = 539

Where do i go from here (if this is right so far)?

Physics news on Phys.org
So far, so good. See if you can figure out the relationship between N1 and N2 by analyzing horizontal forces on the climber.

does she have to exert a force proportional to the coefficients of friction?

Analyze the horizontal forces.

FAQ: How Does a Rock Climber Use Friction to Climb?

1. What is friction on two sides?

Friction on two sides refers to the force that acts between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is the resistance that opposes the motion of an object along the surface of another object.

2. What factors affect friction on two sides?

The two main factors that affect friction on two sides are the type of surfaces in contact and the amount of force applied. Rougher surfaces and greater force tend to result in higher friction.

3. How does friction on two sides impact motion?

Friction on two sides can either increase or decrease the speed of an object in motion. If the force of friction is greater than the force propelling the object, it will slow down. If the force of friction is less than the propelling force, the object will speed up.

4. How can friction on two sides be reduced?

Friction on two sides can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the surfaces. It can also be reduced by using smoother surfaces or by decreasing the force applied.

5. How is friction on two sides measured?

Friction on two sides is typically measured using a device called a friction meter, which measures the amount of force required to move an object along a surface. The coefficient of friction, which is the ratio of the frictional force to the normal force, is also used to measure friction on two sides.