How Does a Roller Coaster's Loop Affect Your Apparent Weight?

I'm not an expert, but I think I can help you.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a roller coaster with a circular vertical loop. The difference in apparent weight between the top and bottom of the loop is 6 g's, regardless of the size or speed of the loop as long as the speed is above the minimum needed. The solution involves using the conservation of mechanical energy to find the speed at the bottom and top of the loop, and then calculating the apparent weight using this information. One part of the problem is still unsolved and involves proving that the answer does not depend on the size or speed of the loop as long as the speed is above the minimum needed.
ctpengage
Show that a roller coaster with a circular vertical loop. The difference in your apparent weight at the top of the circular loop and the bottom of the circular loop is 6 g's-that is, six times your weight. Ignore friction. Show also that as long as your speed is above the minimum needed, this answer doesn't depend on the size of the loop or how fast your go through it.

My working for the first half of the problem, the 6g's part is as follows

Radius if loop is R
Height from which it is released is h

The speed at bottom of the loop is determined by the conservation of mechanical energy
1/2 mvbottom2=2mgh

Apparent weight at the bottom of the loop is obtained by the below:

mvBot2= FNorm. Bot.-mg
Therefore apparent weight at bottom is
FNorm. Bot.=mvbot2/R+mg
FNorm. Bot.=2mgh/R+mg (using result obtained via conservation of energy)

To find speed at top of the loop we have from Conservation of Energy
1/2 mvtop2+mg(2R)=mgh
mvtop2=2mg(h-2R)
Therefore using the above the apparent weight at the top of the loop is

mvTop2/R = FNorm. Top.+mg
Therefore Apparent weight is :
FNorm. Top. = (2mg(h-2R))/R - mg

Hence
FNorm. Bot. - FNorm. Top. =
2mgh/R + mg - [((2mg(h-2R))/R - mg)]=
2mgh/R + mg - 2mgh/R + 4mg + mg=
6mg

That's how I proved the first part of the problem. Can anyone please tell me how to complete the second part of the problem; namely proving that as long as your speed is above the minimum needed, the answer doesn't depend on the size of the loop or how fast your go through it. This part of the problem is really bugging me and I've tried heaps of ways but can't come up with the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
ctpengage said:
The speed at bottom of the loop is determined by the conservation of mechanical energy
1/2 mvbottom2=2mgh

To find speed at top of the loop we have from Conservation of Energy
1/2 mvtop2+mg(2R)=mgh
mvtop2=2mg(h-2R)

Hi ctpengage! :smile:

I'm a little confused …

you seem to have got the right result with the wrong equations. :confused:

You have two equations for conservation of energy, one for the top and one for the bottom …

but conservation means that the energy for top and bottom should be in the same equation, doesn't it? :smile:

Related to How Does a Roller Coaster's Loop Affect Your Apparent Weight?

1. What is conservation of mechanical energy?

Conservation of mechanical energy is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total amount of mechanical energy in a closed system remains constant over time, regardless of any internal changes or external forces acting on the system.

2. How is mechanical energy conserved in a system?

Mechanical energy is conserved in a system when there is no net external force acting on the system. This means that the total amount of kinetic energy and potential energy in the system remains constant.

3. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that an object experiences when it moves in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude is equal to the square of the object's velocity divided by the radius of the circle.

4. How is centripetal acceleration related to conservation of mechanical energy?

Centripetal acceleration is related to conservation of mechanical energy because it is the result of the object's kinetic energy being converted into potential energy as it moves in a circular path. This conversion of energy is what keeps the total mechanical energy of the system constant.

5. What does it mean for a question to be independent in a conservation of mechanical energy problem?

A question is considered independent in a conservation of mechanical energy problem if it does not rely on any other information or variables in the problem. In other words, it can be solved on its own without needing to use any other equations or values from the problem.

Back