How Does a Skater's Rotational Kinetic Energy Change When He Lowers His Arms?

So the skater's initial angular velocity is 17.4 rad/s with his arms outstretched. As he lowers his arms, his moment of inertia decreases from 43 kg/m^2 to 37 kg/m^2. To calculate his initial and final rotational kinetic energy, we can use the equations L=I*w and KE=1/2*I*w^2. Substituting in the values for initial and final moment of inertia, we get initial kinetic energy of 3.53 J and final kinetic energy of 3.24 J.
unteng10

Homework Statement

A skater spins with an angular speed of 17.4 rad/s with his arms outstretched. He lowers his arms, decreasing his moment of inertia from 43 kg/m^2 to 37 kg/m^2. Calculate his initial and final rotational kinetic energy.

Homework Equations

L=I[tex]\omega[/tex]
KE=1/2I[tex]\omega[/tex]^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure if I am on the right track here, for initial kinetic energy I came up with 3.53 J. I manipulated L=I[tex]\omega[/tex] to get [tex]\omega[/tex]=L/I to find my angular velocity. Then plugged that in the KE=(1/2)(43 kg/m^2)(.405^2) to get 3.53 J. Did I do this correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
A skater spins with an angular speed of 17.4 rad/s
This is not the angular momentum L, but is is the angular velocity w.

Okay, so the speed would be [tex]\omega[/tex]?

unteng10 said:
Okay, so the speed would be [tex]\omega[/tex]?
Yes. Angular speed is w.

Related to How Does a Skater's Rotational Kinetic Energy Change When He Lowers His Arms?

1. What is Rotational Kinetic Energy?

Rotational Kinetic Energy is the energy an object possesses due to its rotational motion. It is dependent on the object's mass, rotational speed, and the distance from its axis of rotation.

2. How is Rotational Kinetic Energy calculated?

The formula for calculating Rotational Kinetic Energy is E = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where E is the rotational kinetic energy in Joules, I is the moment of inertia of the object in kg*m^2, and ω is the angular velocity in radians per second.

3. What is the difference between Rotational Kinetic Energy and Linear Kinetic Energy?

Rotational Kinetic Energy is the energy an object possesses due to its rotational motion, while Linear Kinetic Energy is the energy an object possesses due to its linear motion. Rotational Kinetic Energy is dependent on the object's moment of inertia, while Linear Kinetic Energy is dependent on the object's mass.

4. What are some real-life examples of Rotational Kinetic Energy?

Some common examples of Rotational Kinetic Energy include spinning tops, rolling wheels, and spinning toys such as yo-yos or fidget spinners. Other examples include the rotation of a fan blade or the spinning of a merry-go-round.

5. How is Rotational Kinetic Energy related to work and power?

Rotational Kinetic Energy is related to work and power through the Work-Energy Theorem, which states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. Power, which is the rate at which work is done, can also be calculated using the formula P = W/t, where P is power in watts, W is work done in Joules, and t is time in seconds.