How Does a Spring Affect the Oscillation Frequency of a Ball in a Medium?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the frequency of oscillation of a ball on a spring system in terms of given quantities. The equations for equilibrium and motion are provided and the inclusion of friction from the medium is suggested to eliminate the unknowns and solve for the frequency.
alimerzairan

Homework Statement

The terminal speed of a freely falling ball in a medium is vt, free fall acceleration is g.
In a differrent setting, the same ball, in the same medium, in the same gravity field is supported
by a light elastic spring. In equilibrium, under the weight of the ball, the spring is compressed
by an amount x0. Find the frequency of oscillation of the system (ball on a spring) in terms of the given quantities. Assume linear law of resistance. Neglect buoyant forces.

Homework Equations

Within attempt solution part.

The Attempt at a Solution

So far, I have said that well in the freely falling ball case we will have: mg = bvt. So here I can immediately solve what vt will be.

Now to the case of the spring system, I took into consideration that only two forces act on this and that is the weight of the ball and the restoring force.

m * [tex]\frac{dx^2}{d^2t}[/tex] = mg -kx
But at equilibrium all the forces will cancel meaning that:

mg = kx0.

Is this logic right?

I then get stuck here because I can say that:

[tex]\frac{g}{x_0}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{k}{m}[/tex] = [tex]\omega^2[/tex]

so [tex]\omega[/tex] = [tex]\sqrt{\frac{g}{x_0}}[/tex].

but I can also say that mg = kx0 = bvt

Solving this results into:

[tex]\frac{k x_0}{m}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{b v_t}{m}[/tex]

[tex]\omega[/tex] = [tex]\sqrt{\frac{b v_t}{x_0 m}}[/tex].

but then, would this spring actually be oscillating? because I say that these two forces at equilibrium will be equal and opposite of each other, would this imply or not imply oscillatory motion.

Also is this the correct approach to this problem

Any response is appreciated and if it is possible before 1 p.m. Tuesday, October 26 (USA-Pacific Time Zone GMT -0800).

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equations for equilibrium are correct.
The total equation of motion for the ball, medium spring system is missing the friction from the medium. If you include this you will get the frequency in terms of two unknowns m and b which can be eliminated using the equilibrium equations.

Related to How Does a Spring Affect the Oscillation Frequency of a Ball in a Medium?

What is Spring?

Spring is a mechanical device that is made up of an elastic material, such as metal or plastic, and is used to store and release energy. It can be stretched or compressed and will return to its original shape once the force is removed.

What is Terminal Velocity?

Terminal velocity is the maximum speed an object can reach when falling through a fluid, such as air or water. At this speed, the forces of gravity and air resistance are balanced, causing the object to no longer accelerate.

How does Spring affect Terminal Velocity?

When a spring is attached to an object, it can affect the object's terminal velocity by changing its weight and shape. The spring can also provide a cushioning effect, reducing the impact of the object when it reaches the ground.

What factors affect Spring & Terminal Velocity?

The factors that affect spring and terminal velocity include the weight and shape of the object, the strength and elasticity of the spring, and the density and viscosity of the fluid it is falling through.

How can Spring & Terminal Velocity be applied in real life?

Spring and terminal velocity have many practical applications in everyday life, such as in parachuting, bungee jumping, and air resistance in sports. They also play a crucial role in engineering and design, especially in the development of safety devices and structures.

Back