How Does a Star's Mass Loss Affect Satellite Orbit Distances?

In summary, a satellite is in circular orbit around a star of mass M at a distance of R. After the star undergoes an explosion in which one percent of its mass is blown away, the nearest and furthest distances of the satellite's orbit around the star change. However, the angular momentum and energy of the satellite remain unchanged as no external forces have acted on it. The change in distances is due to the decrease in the mass of the star, which affects the overall potential and kinetic energy of the system.
bon

Homework Statement

A satellite is in circular orbit of radius R about a star of mass M . The star
suddenly undergoes an explosion in which one percent of its mass is blown spherically
symmetrically to a large distance. What are the new nearest and furthest distances of
the satellite’s orbit around the star?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Am i right in thinking that both the angular momentum and energy of the star decrease..the new J = 0.99mrv and the new KE = 1/2 (0.99m)v^2? Same PE?

Physics news on Phys.org

Why should either the KE or the angular momentum of the satellite change? Did any force do any work on it? Or the force field ceased to be central?

ehild

ehild said:
Why should either the KE or the angular momentum of the satellite change? Did any force do any work on it? Or the force field ceased to be central?

ehild

it's mass changed! - i.e. the total PE and KE of remaining satellite + parts blown away is unchanged, yes..but surely the KE of the remaining bit of satellite decreases as its mass is less...?

Otherwise there would be no max/min distances that it asks us to calculate..

Read the text more carefully.

"The star suddenly undergoes an explosion in which one percent of its mass is blown spherically symmetrically to a large distance."

ehild

I would approach this problem by using the principles of orbital mechanics and conservation of energy and momentum. The sudden explosion of the star would cause a decrease in its mass, leading to a decrease in the gravitational force between the star and the satellite. This would result in a decrease in the satellite's orbital velocity and a change in its orbit.

To calculate the new orbit, I would use the equation for gravitational force, F = Gm1m2/r^2, where m1 and m2 are the masses of the star and satellite, respectively, and r is the distance between them. Since the mass of the star has decreased by 1%, the new force would be 0.99 times the original force.

Next, I would use the equation for centripetal force, F = mv^2/r, to calculate the new orbital velocity of the satellite. Since the force has decreased, the velocity would also decrease by the same factor of 0.99.

Using the equation for orbital period, T = 2πr/v, I would calculate the new orbital period of the satellite. This would remain the same as the original orbital period, since the mass of the satellite has not changed.

Finally, I would use Kepler's third law, T^2 ∝ r^3, to calculate the new orbital radius. The new orbital radius would be the distance at which the new orbital period and the new force are in equilibrium. This would give me the new nearest and furthest distances of the satellite's orbit around the star.

In summary, the new nearest and furthest distances of the satellite's orbit around the star would decrease by a factor of 0.99 due to the decrease in the gravitational force between the two objects. This decrease would be reflected in the decrease in the satellite's orbital velocity and the new equilibrium distance calculated using Kepler's third law.

Related to How Does a Star's Mass Loss Affect Satellite Orbit Distances?

1. What is Node Voltage Analysis?

Node Voltage Analysis is a method used to solve for unknown voltages at different nodes in an electrical circuit. It is based on Kirchhoff's Current Law, which states that the sum of all currents entering a node must equal the sum of all currents leaving that node.

2. How is Node Voltage Analysis performed?

Node Voltage Analysis involves assigning variables to each node in the circuit and writing equations using Kirchhoff's Current Law for each node. These equations are then solved simultaneously to find the unknown node voltages.

3. What are the advantages of using Node Voltage Analysis?

Node Voltage Analysis is a systematic and efficient method for solving complex circuits with multiple nodes. It also allows for easy visualization of the circuit and helps in identifying potential errors or mistakes.

4. What are the limitations of Node Voltage Analysis?

Node Voltage Analysis is only applicable to circuits with only voltage sources and resistors. It also assumes that the circuit is in steady-state and does not account for non-linear elements such as diodes or transistors.

5. How is Node Voltage Analysis different from Mesh Analysis?

Node Voltage Analysis and Mesh Analysis are two different methods used to solve electrical circuits. While Node Voltage Analysis focuses on solving for node voltages, Mesh Analysis solves for the currents in each individual loop of the circuit. Both methods use Kirchhoff's Laws, but the choice of which method to use depends on the complexity and structure of the circuit.