How Does a Swimmer Navigate a River with a Current?

In summary: Yes, thank you for explaining that. In summary, a man can swim across a river at a speed of 2 m/s with negligible acceleration, but his speed is affected by the current. The time it takes him to swim across is 5 seconds.
tphy_08

Homework Statement

A man can swim at 2ms-1 ( with neglible acceleration) across a current of 1ms-1. He swims towards a point directly opposite his starting position on the river, 10m wide, and always aims to swim across to this point wherever he is on the river

a) find how long it takes for him to swim across
b) sketch the curve the man would swim across the river.
c) find the equation of the curve he swims, assuming the start point is the origin

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/6983/hardsuvattz4.jpg

Homework Equations

Any calculus equations
Any SUVAT or motion equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know where to start at all with this question because its for extra credit but any help, guidance or worked through answers would be great =)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
tphy_08 said:

Homework Statement

A man can swim at 2ms-1 ( with neglible acceleration) across a current of 1ms-1. He swims towards a point directly opposite his starting position on the river, 10m wide, and always aims to swim across to this point wherever he is on the river

a) find how long it takes for him to swim across
b) sketch the curve the man would swim across the river.
c) find the equation of the curve he swims, assuming the start point is the origin

Homework Equations

Any calculus equations
Any SUVAT or motion equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know where to start at all with this question because its for extra credit but any help, guidance or worked through answers would be great =)
Welcome to Physics Forums.

We don't provide worked solutions, but we will help you through the problem. The first point to realize is that motion in perpendicular directions is independent. In other words, we can just look at the component of the swimmers velocity going across the river, and ignore the component of his velocity direction down the river, and vice versa.

Knowing this and considering the component of velocity going across the river, can you determine the time taken for the swimmer to cross the river?

So therefore the swimmer would take 5s to cross the river, if there was no current. But his speed would be affected by the fact he is not always swimming directly across, but also slightly upstream at an angle as he starts swimming. how would i compensate for this in my calculation?
Thanks

tphy_08 said:
So therefore the swimmer would take 5s to cross the river, if there was no current. But his speed would be affected by the fact he is not always swimming directly across, but also slightly upstream at an angle as he starts swimming. how would i compensate for this in my calculation?
Thanks
Five seconds is the correct answer. Reread my first paragraph in the post above, its an extremely important point to realize in kinematics. That is that motion in perpendicular directions is independent. You are indeed correct that his speed (and velocity) will be affected by the current, however the horizontal component will not. In other words, he will still be swimming across the river at 2m/s, but he will also be traveling down the river at 1m/s.

Do you follow?

FAQ: How Does a Swimmer Navigate a River with a Current?

1. What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of the rate of change of an object's position over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. In simpler terms, velocity is the speed of an object in a specific direction.

2. How is velocity different from speed?

While both velocity and speed refer to the rate of motion of an object, velocity also takes into account the direction of motion. Speed is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude and not direction.

3. What is relative motion?

Relative motion is the motion of an object in relation to another object. It takes into account the frame of reference or point of view from which the motion is being observed. This means that the same object can have different velocities depending on the frame of reference.

4. How is relative motion used in everyday life?

Relative motion is used in various fields, such as transportation, sports, and navigation. For example, when driving a car, we need to consider the relative motion of other cars on the road to avoid collisions. In sports, players need to adjust their movements based on the relative motion of other players on the field. In navigation, pilots use relative motion to determine the position of their aircraft in relation to other objects in the sky.

5. How does velocity affect the perception of time?

The concept of time dilation in the theory of relativity states that time is affected by velocity. This means that the faster an object moves, the slower time moves for that object. As a result, an object's velocity can affect our perception of time, making time seem to pass slower or faster depending on the object's speed.

Back