How does a TI-84 calculate the derivative at a point?

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for computing the derivative of a function numerically. The use of intervals in the nDeriv function is optional, but it is recommended to avoid losing significant digits. One method is to use extrapolation or series techniques, such as the Taylor expansion or the symmetric difference with a small step size. The smaller the step size, the more accurate the result, but it may also lead to a loss of significant digits. Ultimately, a balance must be struck between accuracy and precision. This information can be found in Calculus: Graphical, Numerical, Algebraic by Ross Finney et. al. on page 111.
epicfailguy
Google has failed me. Any responses are greatly appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't have it with me right now but I think it reads 10^-15 as zero, so the easiest way would be approximate it with the interval x,x+10^-14 where x is the point. It is optional in the nDeriv function to state an interval but if you don't input one I can only assume it takes the smallest number it has.

You would lose a lot of significant digits if you do it that way. I think that if derivatives have to be evaluated numerically, then you would be better off using some extraplation orseries technique. E.g. you can write the Taylor expansion of a function formally as:

f(x+t) = exp(t d/dx) f(x)

The symmetric difference with step t is thus given by:

Delta_t f(x) = [exp(t d/dx) - exp(-td/dx)]/2 f(x) = sinh(t d/dx) f(x)

So, this means that formally we can express the derivative operator in terms of the finite symmetric difference operator as:

d/dx = 1/t arcsinh(Delta_t) = 1/t [Delta_t - 1/6 Delta_t^3 + ...]

So, to comnpute the derivative at a point, all you need to do is to repeatedly apply the symmteric finite difference operator with some stepsize t. The smaler you take t, the faster te series converges, but then you lose significant digits. So, you should take t not too small and a few terms of the series.

Most graphing calculators compute a derivative by taking the symmetric difference quotient with the value of the difference being a small number close to zero such as .001.

Ref: Calculus: Graphical, Numerical, Algerbraic, by Ross Finney et. al. p. 111.

Related to How does a TI-84 calculate the derivative at a point?

1. What is the general formula used by a TI-84 to calculate the derivative at a point?

The TI-84 uses the standard limit definition of a derivative, which is f'(x) = lim(h→0) (f(x+h) - f(x)) / h.

2. How does the TI-84 handle discontinuities or points where the derivative does not exist?

The TI-84 will show an error message or undefined value when attempting to calculate the derivative at a point where it does not exist.

3. Can the TI-84 calculate higher-order derivatives?

Yes, the TI-84 has the capability to calculate higher-order derivatives using the same limit definition as for first-order derivatives.

4. Does the TI-84 use numerical or symbolic methods to calculate derivatives?

The TI-84 uses numerical methods to calculate derivatives, which involves estimating the derivative value using small changes in the input value.

5. Are there any limitations to the accuracy of the TI-84's derivative calculations?

Like any numerical method, the TI-84's derivative calculations may introduce some rounding or approximation errors. Additionally, the accuracy may be affected by the complexity of the function and the chosen input value.