How Does a Tinkerer Craft Custom Knives?

• Thread starter mikeJay
  • Start date
In summary, Knifemaking is an intricate and detailed art form that requires a combination of technical skill, creativity, and patience. It involves shaping and crafting a blade from raw materials, often using traditional techniques passed down through generations. A tinkerer's journey in knifemaking involves learning about different types of steel, blade shapes, and handle materials, as well as the processes of heat treating, grinding, and finishing. It is a challenging but rewarding pursuit that allows for personal expression and the creation of functional works of art.
mikeJay
How did you find PF?
have found in searches
I am a tinkerer/knife maker/ blacksmith.I have built belt grinders,forges,heat treating oven and am working on a hydraulic press now.I made these things for myself from other things I find and disassemble.I only usually buy what I can't make or made before and now know better! I often have questions that I have found answers to here.

Likes berkeman and Lnewqban
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF, Mike. Can you show a couple pictures of your knifemaking artwork? :smile: