How Does Acceleration Affect an Astronaut's Apparent Weight?

In summary, The apparent weight of a 730-N astronaut with an acceleration of magnitude 2.0g is 2190N when the spaceship is just above the surface of Earth and accelerating straight up. When the spaceship is far from any stars or planets, the apparent weight is simply the normal force exerted by the spaceship, which is equal to the mass of the astronaut multiplied by the acceleration (2.0g). This results in an apparent weight of 2190N as well, as the gravitational force is negligible in this situation. The book's answer of 2200N may be due to rounding, and it's important to pay attention to the given precision in the problem.
mysticbms

Homework Statement

What is the apparent weight of a 730-N astronaut when her spaceship has an acceleration of magnitude 2.0g in the following two situations. a) just above the surface of Earth, acceleration straight up; b) far from any stars of planets?

Homework Equations

Fnet=N-mg=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

W'=N=mg+ma=m(g+a)
=m(g + 2g)
m=730/g
W'=730*3=2190N

The answer in the book is 2200N, not sure if they just rounded and I'm not sure how to answer b.

Physics news on Phys.org
mysticbms said:

Homework Statement

What is the apparent weight of a 730-N astronaut when her spaceship has an acceleration of magnitude 2.0g in the following two situations. a) just above the surface of Earth, acceleration straight up; b) far from any stars of planets?

Homework Equations

Fnet=N-mg=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

W'=N=mg+ma=m(g+a)
=m(g + 2g)
m=730/g
W'=730*3=2190N

The answer in the book is 2200N, not sure if they just rounded and I'm not sure how to answer b.
Yup. They rounded ... apparently to two sig fig

This book is killing me. Not the first time it had me thinking I got the wrong answer.

What about b?

b is actually simpler than a. The reason the book tells you that the spaceship is far from any planets or stars is to tell you that there is a negligible amount of gravitational force acting on the ship. Therefore, the only force acting on the astronaut in this situation is the normal force that the spaceship exerts on the astronaut. So instead of having to add the normal force and gravity, it's just the normal force that makes up the net force.

So in that case, N=ma

mysticbms said:
This book is killing me. Not the first time it had me thinking I got the wrong answer.
In a sense you do have the wrong answer. You only know the acceleration to two places. It's 2.0 g, not 2.00g. Giving too much precision in an answer is a wrong answer.

D H said:
In a sense you do have the wrong answer. You only know the acceleration to two places. It's 2.0 g, not 2.00g. Giving too much precision in an answer is a wrong answer.

Thank you! I didn't think of it that way. That will definitely help me moving forward when comparing answers to the book.

Related to How Does Acceleration Affect an Astronaut's Apparent Weight?

What is the apparent weight of an astronaut in space?

The apparent weight of an astronaut in space is zero. This is because there is no gravity in space, so the astronaut is essentially weightless.

Why does the apparent weight of an astronaut change in space?

The apparent weight of an astronaut changes in space because of the absence of gravity. On Earth, gravity pulls down on our bodies, creating a feeling of weight. In space, there is no gravity pulling down on the astronaut's body, so they feel weightless.

How is the apparent weight of an astronaut measured?

The apparent weight of an astronaut is measured by using a scale. In space, astronauts can use a special type of scale that measures their mass through the force of their weight against a spring. The scale then converts this force into a reading of apparent weight.

Does the apparent weight of an astronaut change on different planets?

Yes, the apparent weight of an astronaut will change on different planets because the amount of gravitational pull varies depending on the mass and size of the planet. For example, an astronaut would weigh less on the moon than on Earth due to the moon's weaker gravitational pull.

How does the apparent weight of an astronaut affect their movement in space?

The apparent weight of an astronaut affects their movement in space because without the force of gravity, their movements are not restricted by their weight. This allows astronauts to move more freely and perform tasks that would be impossible on Earth due to the force of gravity.