How Does Acceleration Affect Constant Velocity in Particle Motion?

In summary, by taking the appropriate derivative, it can be shown that the magnitude of the velocity of a particle in the xy plane can only be constant if the product of its acceleration components in the x and y directions is equal to zero. This is represented by the equation axvx + ayvy = 0.
Destrio
A particle is moving in the xy plane with velocity v(t) = Vx(t)i + Vy(t)j
and acceleration a(t) = ax(t)i + ay(t)j
By taking the appropriate derivative, show that the magnitude of v can be constant only if axvx + ayvy = 0

I did it in a similar way to the other problem I had as it seems like a similar problem,
My thinking is:

h = (Vx(t)i)^2 + (Vy(t)j)^2

s(t) = sqrt(h)

dh/dt = d(vx^2 + vy^2) / dt
= d(vx)^2/dt + d(vy)^2/dt
= (d(vx^2)/dvx)(dvx/dt) + (d(vy^2)/dvy)(dy/dt)
= 2vx(dx/dt) + 2vy(dy/dt)

ds/dt = (ds/dh)(dh/dt)
= ((1/2)h^(-1/2))[(2vx(dvx/dt))+(2vy(dvy/dt))]

((1/2)h^(-1/2))[(2vx(dvx/dt))+(2vy(dvy/dt))] = 0

((1/2)h^(-1/2))[(2vx(ax))+(2vy(ax))] = 0

2((1/2)h^(-1/2))[vxax+vyax] = 0

axvx + ayvy = 0

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good! Very nice!

for sharing your approach, it looks correct. To further explain, the magnitude of velocity, v, is given by the square root of the sum of the squared components, Vx and Vy. Taking the derivative of this magnitude with respect to time gives us the expression in the first line of your derivation. For this magnitude to remain constant, the derivative must be equal to zero. Simplifying this expression leads to the conclusion that axvx + ayvy must equal zero. This means that the acceleration components in the x and y directions must be perpendicular to the velocity components in those directions in order for the magnitude of velocity to remain constant. This is consistent with the definition of perpendicular vectors, where their dot product is equal to zero.

Related to How Does Acceleration Affect Constant Velocity in Particle Motion?

What is vector kinematics?

Vector kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects in terms of their position, velocity, and acceleration in relation to time. It involves the use of vectors, which are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction.

How is vector kinematics different from scalar kinematics?

The main difference between vector kinematics and scalar kinematics is that vector kinematics takes into account the direction of an object's motion, whereas scalar kinematics only deals with magnitude. This means that vector kinematics provides a more comprehensive description of an object's motion.

What are the key equations used in vector kinematics?

The key equations used in vector kinematics include the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration. These are: d = d0 + vt, v = v0 + at, and v^2 = v0^2 + 2ad, where d is displacement, d0 is initial displacement, v is velocity, v0 is initial velocity, a is acceleration, and t is time.

How is vector kinematics used in real-world applications?

Vector kinematics is used in a wide range of real-world applications, including navigation systems, robotics, and video game development. It is also essential in fields such as engineering, astronomy, and physics, where understanding the motion of objects is crucial.

What are some common misconceptions about vector kinematics?

One common misconception about vector kinematics is that it is only applicable to objects moving in a straight line. In reality, vector kinematics can also be used to describe motion in two or three dimensions. Another misconception is that vectors are the same as scalars, when in fact they are different mathematical quantities with distinct properties.