How Does Acoustic Radiation Force Affect Particle Movement in Ultrasonic Waves?

In summary, the speaker is trying to simulate the movement of a particle using an ultrasonic wave. They have read that they need to use the acoustic radiation force, but they are unsure why. They initially tried using the velocity field but it did not work. They are also wondering if this can only be done in the audible range of acoustic frequencies. They are seeking help and clarification from others in the forum.
wt1987
Hello everyone,

I want to calculate or rather simulate a particle movement by influence of a ultrasonic wave.
I have read many times that I have to use the acoustic radiation force for calculating the movement of a particle but not why?

At first I calculated the particle movement only with the velocity field and it doesn`t work but why?
Is this only possible in the audible range of acoustic frequencies?

Can you help me?

Best regards

Science news on Phys.org
You were asked in a previous thread to describe what you are actually trying to do but you did not respond .

Without more complete information PF members will not be able to give you any meaningful answers .

Related to How Does Acoustic Radiation Force Affect Particle Movement in Ultrasonic Waves?

1. What is acoustic radiation force?

Acoustic radiation force is a phenomenon in which sound waves exert a mechanical force on objects in their path. This force is a result of the transfer of momentum from the sound waves to the objects they encounter.

2. How does acoustic radiation force work?

Acoustic radiation force is generated when sound waves encounter an object. As the waves pass through the object, they transfer momentum to it, causing it to vibrate and move. This force is strongest at the surface of the object and decreases as the waves move through it.

3. What are the applications of acoustic radiation force?

Acoustic radiation force has a variety of applications in fields such as medical imaging, material characterization, and particle manipulation. It is used in techniques like acoustic tweezers, which use sound waves to manipulate small particles, and acoustic radiation force impulse (ARFI) imaging, which is used to assess tissue stiffness.

4. How is acoustic radiation force measured?

The force exerted by acoustic radiation force can be measured using various techniques, including optical tweezers, atomic force microscopy, and microbalances. These methods involve measuring the displacement or deflection of an object in response to the force exerted by the sound waves.

5. What are the potential risks of acoustic radiation force?

Acoustic radiation force is generally considered safe, as the forces generated by sound waves are typically small and do not cause harm to living tissues. However, high-intensity acoustic radiation force can potentially cause damage to delicate structures, such as cell membranes, and should be used with caution.