How Does Adding an Aluminum Calorimeter Affect Heat Transfer Calculations?

• Thread starter ariana0923
  • Start date
In summary, a piece of copper (0.10 kg) at an initial temperature of 95°C is dropped into a mixture of 0.20 kg of water and a 0.28 kg aluminum calorimeter, both at an initial temperature of 15°C. Using the equation -Q(Cu) = Q(Al) + Q(w), we can calculate the final temperature of the system when it reaches equilibrium. By substituting the values for the mass and specific heat capacity of each component into the equation, we can solve for the final temperature, which is approximately 16.77 degrees Celsius.
ariana0923

Homework Statement

A 0.10 kg piece of copper at an initial temperature of 95°C is dropped into 0.20 kg of water contained in a 0.28 kg aluminum calorimeter. The water and calorimeter are initially at 15°C. What is the final temperature of the system when it reaches equilibrium?
M(w) = 0.20kg
Cp,(w) = 4186J/kg°C
M(Al) = 0.28kg
Cp,(Al) = 899J/kg°C
T(w) = T(Al) = 15°C
M(Cu) = 0.10kg
Cp,(Cu) = 387J/kg°C
T(Cu) = 95°C

I'm confused because usually there is just the water and the substance, but now there's the aluminum calorimeter to account for. I'm not sure what to do..do I still use the Qw= -Qx approach? If so, do I add the aluminum info to the water info...someone else seemed to do it that way, but he and i got answers differing by about 1 degree.

Homework Equations

-Q(Cu) = Q(Al+w)

The Attempt at a Solution

[cp(cu)] [M(cu)] [ΔT(cu)] = [cp(al) + cp(w)] [M(al) + M(w)] [ΔT(al and water)]
(-387)(0.10)(Tf-95) = (899+4186)(0.28+0.20)(Tf-15)
Tf=16.77 degrees C

**Before, I made the right side negative (Q al+W) and got 16.25, almost the same thing, so I don't know if that matters, or if I did the math wrong. Anyhow, is my above work correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
ariana0923 said:
..do I still use the Qw= -Qx approach?
YES!

If so, do I add the aluminum info to the water info...? ...

-Q(Cu) = Q(Al+w)

[cp(cu)] [M(cu)] [ΔT(cu)] = [cp(al) + cp(w)] [M(al) + M(w)] [ΔT(al and water)]

Not quite. Instead, use a different term for the contribution of each. Try this:

-Q(Cu) = Q(Al) + Q(w)

-[cp(cu)] [M(cu)] [ΔT(cu)] = cp(al)M(al)[ΔT(al)] + cp(w)M(w)[ΔT(w)]

The water will gain heat energy. The aluminum cup will gain heat energy. Both will start at the same T (15 degrees, in this case), and both will end at the same temperature (the equilibrium temperature you are trying to find). In other words, ΔT(w) = ΔT(al).

I cannot confirm the accuracy of your answer without verifying your calculations. However, your approach seems to be correct. You correctly used the principle of energy conservation, which states that the energy lost by one component (in this case, the copper) must be equal to the energy gained by the other components (the aluminum and water).

As for the discrepancy in your answer compared to someone else's, it could be due to rounding errors or differences in the values used for specific heat capacities. It is important to use accurate and consistent values in order to get an accurate result. Additionally, it is always a good idea to double check your calculations to ensure accuracy.

Overall, your approach to solving this problem is correct, but it is important to also pay attention to the details and be careful with your calculations in order to get an accurate result. Keep up the good work!

Related to How Does Adding an Aluminum Calorimeter Affect Heat Transfer Calculations?

1. What is calorimetry?

Calorimetry is the scientific process of measuring the amount of heat energy released or absorbed during a chemical reaction or physical change.

2. How is calorimetry used in scientific research?

Calorimetry is used to determine the heat capacity, specific heat, and enthalpy of substances, as well as to study the energy changes in various chemical and physical processes.

3. What is the difference between adiabatic and isothermal calorimetry?

Adiabatic calorimetry measures the heat released or absorbed in a system without any heat exchange with the surroundings, while isothermal calorimetry maintains a constant temperature during the measurement process.

4. What is the principle behind calorimetry?

The principle behind calorimetry is the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. In calorimetry, the heat released or absorbed by a system is equal to the heat gained or lost by the surroundings.

5. How does calorimetry contribute to understanding thermodynamics?

Calorimetry is an essential tool in thermodynamics as it allows scientists to measure and quantify the energy changes that occur in a system. This data can then be used to understand and predict the behavior of substances and reactions under different conditions.