How Does Amperian Loop Technique Determine Magnetic Fields in a Coaxial Cable?

• Thread starter shebbbbo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Loop
In summary: Your Name]In summary, the Amperian loop technique can be used to determine the magnetic field at different points along a coaxial cable with two infinitely thin conducting cylindrical surfaces. The magnetic field inside the inner cable is zero, while between the two shells and outside of the wire, it is a function of the current and the distance from the center of the cable. Careful selection of the radius of the Amperian loop is necessary, taking into account the current enclosed within it.
shebbbbo
4. Consider a coaxial cable consisting of two infinitely thin conducting cylindrical surfaces
with radii R1 < R2. A current I flows in one direction in the inner cable and in the
opposite direction in the outer cable. Using the Amperian loop technique, determine the
magnetic field
a)inside the inner cable : r < R1 ,
b) between the two shells : R1 < r < R2,
c) outside of the wire : R2 < r.

a) I had a go at this one and thought it you place the amerian loop at R1, you would simply get amperes law:

∫B.dL=u0I

B = u0I/(2πR)

but i had a friend who said if you change where the loop is you can show that there is no current and therefore the field goes to zero? I am not sure which is the correct angle to tackle this question.

i would use the same method for b and c, but i would then find some reduction of the B field due to the radius?

thanks for any advice!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I would approach this problem using the Amperian loop technique as well. Let's break down the problem into three parts and analyze each one separately.

a) Inside the inner cable (r < R1):

In this case, the Amperian loop can be placed at any radius within the inner cable, as long as it is smaller than R1. This means that the loop can be placed at r = 0, and we can use Ampere's law to find the magnetic field at this point.

∫B.dL = μ0I

B = μ0I/(2πr)

As you correctly pointed out, there is no current enclosed within this loop, so the magnetic field inside the inner cable is zero.

b) Between the two shells (R1 < r < R2):

In this case, we can place the Amperian loop at any radius between R1 and R2. Again, using Ampere's law, we can find the magnetic field at this point.

∫B.dL = μ0I

B = μ0I/(2πr)

However, in this case, there is current enclosed within the loop, so the magnetic field will not be zero. It will be a function of the current and the distance from the center of the cable.

c) Outside of the wire (R2 < r):

Finally, for points outside of the wire, the Amperian loop can be placed at any radius larger than R2. Again, using Ampere's law, we can find the magnetic field at this point.

∫B.dL = μ0I

B = μ0I/(2πr)

Similar to the previous case, there is current enclosed within the loop, so the magnetic field will not be zero. It will also be a function of the current and the distance from the center of the cable.

In conclusion, the Amperian loop technique can be used to determine the magnetic field at different points along the coaxial cable. The key is to carefully select the radius of the loop and take into account the current enclosed within it. I hope this helps clarify the problem for you. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to How Does Amperian Loop Technique Determine Magnetic Fields in a Coaxial Cable?

1. What is the Amperian loop technique?

The Amperian loop technique is a method used in electromagnetism to calculate the magnetic field at a specific point caused by a current-carrying wire or any other current-carrying element.

2. How does the Amperian loop technique work?

The Amperian loop technique uses Ampere's law to calculate the magnetic field at a point by integrating the magnetic field contributions along a closed loop surrounding the current-carrying element. The direction of the loop is chosen such that the current enters on the left side and exits on the right side, following the right-hand rule.

3. What are the advantages of using the Amperian loop technique?

One advantage of using the Amperian loop technique is that it allows for the calculation of the magnetic field at a specific point, which is difficult to determine using other methods. Additionally, it is a relatively simple and straightforward method that can be applied to a variety of current-carrying elements.

4. Are there any limitations to the Amperian loop technique?

Yes, the Amperian loop technique has some limitations. It can only be applied to situations where the magnetic field is constant along the chosen loop and where the current is steady. Additionally, it does not account for the effects of changing electric fields.

5. In what fields is the Amperian loop technique commonly used?

The Amperian loop technique is commonly used in the fields of electrical engineering and physics, specifically in the study of electromagnetism. It is also used in practical applications such as the design of motors, generators, and transformers.

Back