How Does Angular Acceleration Affect Motion in a Rotational System?

• Thread starter CollegeStudent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angular
In summary: That way, the rounding errors don't accumulate.The method's fine so far. You might want to hang onto a few more decimal digits for intermediate results. Rounding errors are starting to creep into your significant digits. In general, when a problem has many steps where results build in previous results, you want to keep extra "guard digits" for the intermediate values. You still report individual results rounded to the required significant figures, but use the extra digits for following calculations. That way, the rounding errors don't accumulate.Okay I'll make sure to keep that in mind for the future. Thank you so much for all your help with this!In summary, a laboratory apparatus consisting of a turntable and a
CollegeStudent

Homework Statement

A laboratory apparatus consists of a low friction, low mass turntable which carries a large, flat, round, solid disk. The disk is 10.0 inches or 25.4 cm in diameter and has a mass of 4.34 kg. The turntable base turns on a cylinder 1 7/8 inches (4.76 cm) in diameter. A string is wrapped around the base cylinder (hub) of the turntable. The string passes over pulley of negligible friction and mass to a hanging mass of 200 g. The hanging mass is released from rest and falls 80.0 cm in 7.05 s. (a) What is the acceleration of the falling mass assuming constant acceleration? (b) What is the angular acceleration of the turntable? Through how many radians does the turntable turn in the 7.05 seconds? How many revolutions is this? What is the angular velocity and the tangential velocity of an object attached to the edge of the large disk at the end of the 7.05 s?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I'll write down every variable I have

DISK:
Diameter = 25.4cm
Mass = 4.34 kg

CYLINDER:
Diameter = 4.76 cm

HANGING MASS:
200 kg
Velocity_i = 0
Δy = 80.0cm
Time = 7.05s

(a) What is the acceleration of the falling mass assuming constant acceleration?

So for this, knowing that acceleration is constant and this is a linear acceleration I can use

Δy = v_i * t + 1/2 * a * t²

we want a so

a = 2(Δy - (v_i * t)) / t²
a = 2Δy / t²
a = 2(.80m) / 7.05s² = .032m/s²

(b) What is the angular acceleration of the turntable? Through how many radians does the turntable turn in the 7.05 seconds? How many revolutions is this? What is the angular velocity and the tangential velocity of an object attached to the edge of the large disk at the end of the 7.05 s?

This is where I get stuck...I know that I can use

ω = ω_o + α * t
Δθ = ω_o * t + 1/2 * α * t²
ω² = ω_o ² + 2 * α * t²

I mean I can rearrange each one for α

α = (ω - ω_o) / t
α = 2(Δθ - (ω_o * t)) / t²
α = (ω² - ω_o²) / 2t²

But I don't know the final angular velocity, nor the Δθ because I don't know how many times it will spin.

Can anyone give me a hint here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your linear acceleration looks okay. Do you happen to know an expression that relates linear acceleration to angular acceleration? (hint: it involves the radius)

gneill said:
Your linear acceleration looks okay. Do you happen to know an expression that relates linear acceleration to angular acceleration? (hint: it involves the radius)

I think I saw somewhere that Angular acceleration is = to linear acceleration / the radius? Is that correct?

CollegeStudent said:
I think I saw somewhere that Angular acceleration is = to linear acceleration / the radius? Is that correct?

Yes.

gneill said:
Yes.

Perfect...so then if

α = a/R
α = .032m/s² / R

But now...it asks for the angular acceleration of the turntable... is this the disk on TOP of the turntable...or the cylinder that the string is wrapped around and the turntable base turns on?

CollegeStudent said:
Perfect...so then if

α = a/R
α = .032m/s² / R

But now...it asks for the angular acceleration of the turntable... is this the disk on TOP of the turntable...or the cylinder that the string is wrapped around and the turntable base turns on?
Yes :wink:

They are the same, as they are joined together and rotate together. But the string is tangential to only one of them...

gneill said:
Yes :wink:

They are the same, as they are joined together and rotate together. But the string is tangential to only one of them...

ahh okay so the cylinder is what I'll be using in this example...

so then

α = a / R
α = .032m/s² / .0476m = .672

so now

Through how many radians does the turntable turn in the 7.05 seconds

Wouldn't I just multiply that number by 2∏?

If that is true then this next part of:
How many revolutions is this?

seems redundant since it would be right back to .672

So I'm thinking my hunch is incorrect lol

CollegeStudent said:
ahh okay so the cylinder is what I'll be using in this example...

so then

α = a / R
α = .032m/s² / .0476m = .672
Check your radius value; re-read the problem statement.
so now

Through how many radians does the turntable turn in the 7.05 seconds

Wouldn't I just multiply that number by 2∏?
No, acceleration is not a distance. How do you find distance given acceleration and time?
If that is true then this next part of:

seems redundant since it would be right back to .672

So I'm thinking my hunch is incorrect lol
Your hunch is incorrect :smile:

gneill said:
Check your radius value; re-read the problem statement.

Figures I would use the diameter rather than the radius -_- lol okay let's try that again

α = .032 m/s² / .0238m
α = 1.34

gneill said:
No, acceleration is not a distance. How do you find distance given acceleration and time?

Δθ = 1/2 * α * t²
Δθ = 1/2 * (1.34) * (7.05)²
Δθ = 33.3 radians

NOW I would DIVIDE that number by 2∏ to get the revolutions correct?

so

33.3 / 2∏ = 5.30 revolutions

good so far?

CollegeStudent said:
Figures I would use the diameter rather than the radius -_- lol okay let's try that again

α = .032 m/s² / .0238m
α = 1.34

Δθ = 1/2 * α * t²
Δθ = 1/2 * (1.34) * (7.05)²
Δθ = 33.3 radians

NOW I would DIVIDE that number by 2∏ to get the revolutions correct?

so

33.3 / 2∏ = 5.30 revolutions

good so far?

The method's fine so far.

You might want to hang onto a few more decimal digits for intermediate results. Rounding errors are starting to creep into your significant digits. In general, when a problem has many steps where results build in previous results, you want to keep extra "guard digits" for the intermediate values. You still report individual results rounded to the required significant figures, but use the extra digits for following calculations.

FAQ: How Does Angular Acceleration Affect Motion in a Rotational System?

What is Angular Acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity with respect to time. In simpler terms, it is the measure of how quickly an object's rotational speed is changing.

How is Angular Acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. The formula for angular acceleration is: α = (ω2 - ω1) / (t2 - t1), where α is the angular acceleration, ω is the angular velocity, and t is the time.

What factors affect Angular Acceleration?

The factors that affect angular acceleration include the mass, shape, and distribution of mass of the object, as well as any external forces acting upon it, such as friction or torque.

What is Angular Velocity?

Angular velocity is the measure of the rate of change of an object's rotational position with respect to time. In other words, it is the speed at which an object is rotating or spinning.

How is Angular Velocity measured?

Angular velocity is measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (°/s). It can be calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. The formula for angular velocity is: ω = (θ2 - θ1) / (t2 - t1), where ω is the angular velocity, θ is the angular displacement, and t is the time.