How Does Angular Velocity Relate to the Angle in Nested Cylinders?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a small solid cylinder inside a large tube and its relationship between angular velocity and the angle between the center of mass of the cylinder, the center of the tube, and the vertical. The first part of the problem involves proving the equation $$\omega = \dfrac{R-r}{r} \dfrac{d\psi}{dt}$$ and the second part involves finding the period of oscillation using the energy method. The solution involves assuming no slipping and using conservation of angular momentum and energy equations. The final result simplifies to $$\omega = \sqrt{\dfrac{2*g}{3*(R-r)}}$$ for small angles.
asdfghhjkl

Homework Statement

A small solid cylinder of radius r lies inside a large tube of internal radius R. Show that the angular velocity of the small tube $$\omega$$ is related to $$ \psi $$, the angle between the centre of mass of the solid cylinder, the centre of the large tube and the vertical by;

$$\omega = \dfrac{R-r}{r} \dfrac{d\psi}{dt}$$

The find the period of oscillation of the small cylinder about its equilibrium position.

Homework Equations

See below.

The Attempt at a Solution

I cannot quite imagine the whole setup I assumed that the objects should touch otherwise the angular velocities of the cylinder and the pipe should not have any relation. I tried to apply the conservation of angular momentum, by assuming that we start turning one cylinder and this one then exert torque on the other cylinder... I did not work.

For the second part I assume I would want to use the energy method, but being able to visualise the problem clarifying the set up I am stuck.

Could someone please explain the setup to me and maybe give some hints.

Physics news on Phys.org
I cannot quite imagine the whole setup..

When I read it I imagined the large tube is stationary with the small cylinder rolling inside it (bit like a skateboarder in a half pipe).

Edit: Particularly this bit...
The find the period of oscillation of the small cylinder about its equilibrium position.

CWatters said:
When I read it I imagined the large tube is stationary with the small cylinder rolling inside it (bit like a skateboarder in a half pipe).
That certainly fits with the equation to be proved.

Ok so I went thought through this again, and I came to the following conclusions;

I) To get the relation between $$\omega$$ and derivative of $$\psi$$, you assume that there is no slipping. Hence the center of mass of the small cylinder should move with the same velocity as the edge of the cylinder. Now the CM of the cylinder moves with $$\psi * (R-r)$$ and the edge of the cylinder moves with $$\omega *r$$ equating this and differentiating gives the required expression.

II) For the second part use the energy method. There are Pe, Ke, Kr. Potential energy is $$mgh=mg(R-r)(1-cos(\psi))$$, the velocity of CM, $$v=( \dot{\psi})(R-r)$$, therefore the Ke due to the motion of CM, $$Ke = 0.5*v^2*m$$. The last component of the energy is rotational kinetic energy Kr, $$Kr=0.5*I*\omega^2$$. This yields the equation of motion;
$$\dots{\psi}=\dfrac{2*g*sin(\psi)}{3(R-r)}$$ and then for small angles this simplifies to; $$\omega = \sqrt{\dfrac{2*g}{3*(R-r)}}$$

I don't have the solutions to the problem, so I would appreciate if someone could tell me if this is correct.

asdfghhjkl said:
Ok so I went thought through this again, and I came to the following conclusions;

I) To get the relation between $$\omega$$ and derivative of $$\psi$$, you assume that there is no slipping. Hence the center of mass of the small cylinder should move with the same velocity as the edge of the cylinder. Now the CM of the cylinder moves with $$\psi * (R-r)$$ and the edge of the cylinder moves with $$\omega *r$$ equating this and differentiating gives the required expression.

II) For the second part use the energy method. There are Pe, Ke, Kr. Potential energy is $$mgh=mg(R-r)(1-cos(\psi))$$, the velocity of CM, $$v=( \dot{\psi})(R-r)$$, therefore the Ke due to the motion of CM, $$Ke = 0.5*v^2*m$$. The last component of the energy is rotational kinetic energy Kr, $$Kr=0.5*I*\omega^2$$. This yields the equation of motion;
$$\dots{\psi}=\dfrac{2*g*sin(\psi)}{3(R-r)}$$ and then for small angles this simplifies to; $$\omega = \sqrt{\dfrac{2*g}{3*(R-r)}}$$

I don't have the solutions to the problem, so I would appreciate if someone could tell me if this is correct.
I think there is a typo or two in there, and a confusing reuse of omega, but the end result looks right.

FAQ: How Does Angular Velocity Relate to the Angle in Nested Cylinders?

1. What is a small cylinder in a pipe?

A small cylinder in a pipe refers to a cylindrical object that is placed inside a larger pipe. It can have various purposes, such as regulating the flow of fluids or providing structural support.

2. How does a small cylinder in a pipe work?

The functioning of a small cylinder in a pipe depends on its specific use. For example, in a hydraulic system, the cylinder is filled with fluid, and when pressure is applied, it moves and exerts force on the fluid, causing it to move through the pipe.

3. What are the common applications of a small cylinder in a pipe?

Small cylinders in pipes are commonly used in various industries, including hydraulic systems, plumbing, and manufacturing. They are also used in household items such as spray bottles and syringes.

4. What materials are small cylinders in pipes typically made of?

Small cylinders in pipes can be made of various materials, depending on their use. Some common materials include metal, plastic, and rubber. The material chosen will depend on factors such as strength, durability, and chemical resistance.

5. How do you choose the right size of a small cylinder for a pipe?

The size of a small cylinder for a pipe depends on the specific application and the size of the pipe. Factors such as the required force and the pressure of the fluid will also play a role in determining the appropriate size. It is essential to consult with an expert or refer to specific guidelines to select the correct size.

Back