How Does Binary Star Mass Calculation Using Kepler's Law Work?

In summary, the conversation discusses using Kepler's laws and equations to determine the mass of each star in a pair of binary stars. The correct equation to use is \tau^2 = \frac{4\pi^2a^3}{G(M_1+M_2)}, where a is the semi-major axis of the orbit and \tau is the orbital period. This takes into account the masses of both stars, rather than assuming one is negligible. Both previous attempts at solving for the mass were incorrect.
lindz.12
Consider a pair of binary stars with a separation of 3.60E12 m and an orbital period of 2.55E9s. Assuming the two stars are equally massive, determine the mass of each.

keplar's law...
so I rearranged the formula and set (2pi*r)/T=sqrt((GM)/r), and then I solved for M, which gave me the equation M={[4(pi)^2](r^3)}/(GT^2). Then, I solved for it, and I got 5.3E29kg.

i know the distance given to me was like the diameter, so technically, the radius would be 1.8E12; also, is M the mass of one binary star, considering this question is saying a pair of binary stars...

can someone tell me what i did wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I get M={[16(pi)^2](r^3)}/(GT^2) if you use R eq. half the distance. Because, in that case, (2pi*r)/T=sqrt((GM)/2r). Because the force due to gravity is (M^2)G/4(R^2)

Last edited:
thank you!

Both of these results are wrong.

lindz.12 said:
keplar's law...
so I rearranged the formula and set (2pi*r)/T=sqrt((GM)/r), and then I solved for M, which gave me the equation M={[4(pi)^2](r^3)}/(GT^2). Then, I solved for it, and I got 5.3E29kg.

ak1948 said:
I get M={[16(pi)^2](r^3)}/(GT^2) if you use R eq. half the distance. Because, in that case, (2pi*r)/T=sqrt((GM)/2r). Because the force due to gravity is (M^2)G/4(R^2)

So, what's wrong? lindz.12, your mistake was in using Kepler's laws. These laws are an approximation that implicitly assume that the mass of the orbiting body is very small compared to the mass of the central body. ak1948, your mistake was in using an invalid equation.

Kepler's third law can be extended to cover the case of a pair of masses orbiting one another such that neither mass can be deemed to be negligibly small. In this case,

[tex]\tau^2 = \frac{4\pi^2a^3}{G(M_1+M_2)}[/tex]

where a is the semi-major axis of the orbit of the bodies about each other (i.e., not about their center of mass).Edit:
Solving for the masses,

[tex]M_1+M_2 = \frac{4\pi^2a^3}{G\tau^2}[/tex]

Last edited:
DH
I think its the same result: what you call "a" I called "2R". what you call M1+ M2 I call 2M.

Related to How Does Binary Star Mass Calculation Using Kepler's Law Work?

1. What is planetary motion?

Planetary motion refers to the movement of planets around the sun in our solar system.

2. How do planets move?

Planets move in elliptical orbits around the sun, with the sun at one focus of the ellipse.

3. What causes planetary motion?

Planetary motion is caused by the gravitational pull of the sun on the planets.

4. Are there other types of planetary motion?

Yes, there are other types of planetary motion, such as retrograde motion where a planet appears to move backwards in its orbit.

5. How is planetary motion studied?

Planetary motion is studied through observations using telescopes and mathematical models, such as Kepler's laws of planetary motion.