How Does Bloch's Theorem Apply in Solid State Physics?

In summary, the proof of Bloch's theorem involves using a general ansatz for the Schrodinger equation of a periodic potential and then looking at the equation in the reciprocal lattice. This leads to a transition from a sum over k to a sum over G, where k represents the different frequencies in the Fourier series and G represents the different harmonics. The wave function is indexed with k to differentiate between different solutions of the Schrodinger equation for a periodic potential.
silverwhale
Hi Everybody,

I am learning solid state physics and read today through Kittel. I am still stuck at the proof of Blochs theorem i.e. the proof of Blochs function.

For the Schrodinger equation of a periodic potential the general ansatz:

[tex] \psi = \sum_k C_k e^{ikr} [/tex]

is made.

Then, by looking at the Schrodinger equation in the reciprocal lattice, we see that the [itex] C_k [/itex] are a linear combination of [itex] C_{k-G} [/itex], where [itex]G[/itex] is the reciprocal lattice vector.

Finally, the wave function is indexed by an index [itex] k [/itex] and rewritten as:

[tex] \psi_k = \sum_G C_{k-G} e^{i(k-G)r}, [/tex]

where the sum goes now over G.

I have two questions:
1) How can we go from the sum over k to a sum over G?
2) Is [itex] \psi_k [/itex] the same function as [itex] \psi [/itex]? If so, why do we index it with k?

I hope this is clear enough, and I would be glad for ANY answer! :)
I am searching for an ansatz for nearly a week now!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thanks!

Hi there,

First of all, congratulations on delving into the world of solid state physics! It can definitely be a challenging subject, but it is also incredibly fascinating.

To answer your first question, the transition from a sum over k to a sum over G is possible because of the periodicity of the potential. This means that the wave function must also be periodic, and thus can be represented as a Fourier series. The k values represent the different frequencies in the Fourier series, while the G values represent the different harmonics. So when we sum over G, we are essentially summing over all the different harmonics that make up the periodic wave function.

As for your second question, yes, \psi_k and \psi are essentially the same function. However, the index k is used to differentiate between different solutions of the Schrodinger equation. This is because for a periodic potential, there are multiple solutions, each with a different value of k. So by indexing the wave function with k, we can specify which solution we are referring to.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Keep up the great work in your studies! If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask. Science is all about curiosity and asking questions. Good luck!

Related to How Does Bloch's Theorem Apply in Solid State Physics?

1. What is the Bloch function?

The Bloch function, also known as the Bloch wave or Bloch state, is a mathematical representation of the wave function of an electron in a periodic crystal lattice. It describes the behavior of an electron in a periodic potential, taking into account the periodicity of the crystal structure.

2. What is the significance of the Bloch function?

The Bloch function is significant because it allows for the description of electronic properties in crystalline materials, which are essential for understanding the behavior of many physical systems such as semiconductors and metals. It also plays a crucial role in the band theory of solids.

3. How is the Bloch function derived?

The Bloch function is derived from the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum particles. It involves solving for the wave function in a periodic potential, and the resulting solution is the Bloch function.

4. How does the Bloch function differ from other wave functions?

The Bloch function has a unique periodicity that other wave functions do not possess. It is also a solution to a specific type of potential, the periodic crystal lattice, whereas other wave functions may describe particles in different potentials or systems.

5. What is the Bloch theorem?

The Bloch theorem states that the wave function of an electron in a crystalline material can be expressed as a product of a plane wave and a function that has the same periodicity as the crystal lattice. This theorem allows for the simplification of the Schrödinger equation and the derivation of the Bloch function.