How Does Bulk Modulus Affect Water Compression in a Tank?

In summary, The conversation is about someone seeking help with a question and being directed to post in the appropriate forum. They are asked to share their thinking and current progress on the question in order to receive assistance. The question involves finding the amount of water needed to increase the tank's pressure to 70 MPa.
MatStrat
Hey all, I am having trouble getting to the answer of the attached file below. It would be appreciated if anyone had some tips on getting to the answer.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-16 at 9.57.21 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-16 at 9.57.21 pm.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 412
Physics news on Phys.org
Hiya MatStrat:
We ask that all HW and HW type threads be posted in the appropriate HW forum. I have moved your thread to the Intro Physics HW forum.

If you haven't already done so, please read the Rules of PF.

Good Luck!

MatStrat said:
Hey all, I am having trouble getting to the answer of the attached file below. It would be appreciated if anyone had some tips on getting to the answer.
Please tell us your thinking on this problem, and what you have done so far. You said you are having trouble, but we can't help you if we don't know what your trouble is.

Chet

Likes RaulTheUCSCSlug
Chestermiller said:
Please tell us your thinking on this problem, and what you have done so far. You said you are having trouble, but we can't help you if we don't know what your trouble is.

Chet
I can't understand what it is that i am supposed to be finding. Everything seems to be given in the question leaving nothing left to be found.

MatStrat said:
I can't understand what it is that i am supposed to be finding. Everything seems to be given in the question leaving nothing left to be found.
They are asking you how much more water you have to squeeze into the tank to get the pressure up to 70 MPa.

Chet

FAQ: How Does Bulk Modulus Affect Water Compression in a Tank?

1. What is bulk modulus in fluid mechanics?

Bulk modulus is a measure of the resistance of a fluid to compressibility. It quantifies the change in volume of a fluid under an applied pressure.

2. How is bulk modulus calculated?

Bulk modulus is calculated by dividing the change in pressure by the change in volume for a given fluid. It is typically measured in units of pressure, such as pascals (Pa).

3. What factors affect the bulk modulus of a fluid?

The bulk modulus of a fluid is affected by the density, viscosity, and compressibility of the fluid. It also depends on the temperature and pressure conditions of the fluid.

4. What is the relationship between bulk modulus and elasticity?

Bulk modulus and elasticity are closely related concepts. Bulk modulus is a measure of a fluid's resistance to compression, while elasticity is a measure of a material's ability to deform and return to its original shape. In fluids, a high bulk modulus indicates a low elasticity, and vice versa.

5. How is bulk modulus used in practical applications?

Bulk modulus is an important parameter in various engineering applications, such as hydraulic systems, shock absorbers, and acoustic devices. It is also used in the study of seismic waves and the behavior of fluids under high pressures.

Back