How Does Changing String Length Affect Work and Energy in Rotational Motion?

In summary: I'll leave it to you to figure out how that depends on time. But it is clear that the time to change the radius is relevant. In summary, when rotating a ball on a string with m=1, r=.2, and v=10 m/s, the centripetal force is equal to 500 N*m. By reducing the length of the string to .1, the velocity increases to 20 m/s and the centripetal force becomes 4000 N*m. The work done can be calculated by integrating from 0.2 to 0.1 and is equal to the change in kinetic energy. The tangential speed does not change, but the total speed of the
bobie
Gold Member

Homework Statement

This is not homework. Suppose I am rotating a ball on a string (m=1, r = .2, v = 10 m/s)

Homework Equations

Fc = (m) v2/r = 500 N*m
If I reduce the length of the string to .1, v becomes 20, so
Fc = 4000 N*m

what is the work I have done, what kind of integration do I need,
does the energy spent depend on the speed/time I use to pull the string?

Thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
Work is force along the direction of movement times path length along the direction of movement.
Once the motion is circular and end of the string you are holding is stationary, you don't do any work any more: the string is perpendicular to v.

To bring about this rotation, you make little circles to accelerate the ball. That's work. The sum of the work delivered during these initial small movements is the ultimate kinetic energy: 1/2 m v2

Likes 1 person
BvU said:
To bring about this rotation, you make little circles

Probably there is a misunderstanding,BvU.
I am not referring to setting the ball spinning.
Somebody/thing set the ball spinning at 10 m/s and gave it KE 50J.
I am just shortening the string/spoke from .2 to .1 m.
I work .1m against the centrifugal force v^2/2.
Is it now clear?
Thanks

Last edited:
bobie said:

Homework Statement

This is not homework. Suppose I am rotating a ball on a string (m=1, r = .2, v = 10 m/s)

Homework Equations

Fc = (m) v2/r = 500 N*m
If I reduce the length of the string to .1, v becomes 20, so
Fc = 4000 N*m

what is the work I have done, what kind of integration do I need,
does the energy spent depend on the speed/time I use to pull the string?

Thanks for your help
Simplest is to use a conservation law to figure out how fast the ball will be moving after you've shortened the string. Then you can look at the change in KE.
You can do it by integration. Suppose the string is shortened by some small amount dr, so that the force is more-or-less constant. What work has been done? Where has that energy gone?

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
Suppose the string is shortened by some small amount dr, so that
The problem is complicated by the fact that F = v2/r is changing all the time along the distance. otherwise 500 N *.1m would simply make 50J wouldn't it?, if we consider only the final value of F it would be 8 times greater. The real increase is 150J, 3 times or 0.888 times
I want to derive that. Should I rather start a thread in a math forum?

Last edited:
Apologize: didn't read the problem statement that was slightly hidden under the relevant equation heading.

I remember a similar thread where I claim to have done the energy thing -- but can't find it back. (by the way, K&K turns out to be Kleppner & Kolenkov (MIT))

So, same reasoning: wrt to the origin, the wire can not exercise a torque on the mass because force and r are aligned. With torque ##= 0 = \tau = {\bf d\over dt}(I\omega)##

and ## I = mr^2## I get ## m\omega r^2 = ## constant. So ## \omega r^2 = \omega_0 r_0^2## or ## v r = v_0 r_0 ## as you already used.

Now you can write down something for Fc and for the work, that is part constant and part r dependent. Integrate from 0.2 to 0.1 to find the work done. Compare with the kinetic energy at 0.2 and at 0.1 and sure enough: the increase in KE is equal to work done !

Likes 1 person
BvU said:
So, same reasoning: wrt to the origin, the wire can not exercise a torque on the mass because force and r are aligned. the increase in KE is equal to work done !
But does it exercise any external torque on the system? How does that agree with:
The law of conservation of angular momentum states that when no external torque acts on an object or a closed system of objects, no change of angular momentum can occur.
Since the work his done perpendicular to rotation i.e radially, how can that increase the tangential vector?
In case the string is a problem you can imagin a telescopic spoke.
Can you write a single formula for that integral?
I really appreciate your help, BvU!

bobie said:
The problem is complicated by the fact that F = v2/r is changing all the time along the distance.
Quite so, which is why I suggested thinking about what has happened to the work done. If you think about that you can figure out how the force changes.
Since the work is done perpendicular to rotation i.e radially, how can that increase the tangential vector?
While the radius is constant, the acceleration is perpendicular to the velocity, so the tangential speed does not change. As soon as you start to pull the string in it acquires some radial velocity, so now its total speed increases, giving it a velocity heading towards a smaller radius. As it continues to move around the axis, that same velocity heading, as a straight line, becomes tangential once more, but it retains its additional speed.

Likes 1 person
Note that angular momentum hasn't changed: ##v r = v_0 r_0 ## !

As for F, well, you wrote it yourself already:

Fc = m v2/r .

You know that mvr is a constant. So F is what (constant) times what (only dependent on r) ?

The constant part is m(vr)2 and that leaves a ## {1\over r^3}## factor. So ##dW = - |F| \, dr = - {m v_0^2 r_0^2 \over r^3} \, dr ## (a minus sign because F and dr point in opposite directions) and the integral is $$ W = - m v_0^2 r_0^2\, \int_{0.2}^{0.1}\, {1\over r^3} \, dr $$

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
As soon as you start to pull the string in it acquires some radial velocity, so now its total speed increases, giving it a velocity heading towards a smaller radius. As it continues to move around the axis, that same velocity heading, as a straight line, becomes tangential once more, but it retains its additional speed.

Thanks, just a couple of more questions:

- does absolutely all the work done end up in tangential KE?
- does anything change if we change the time of the process/speed of the radial motion?

Did you find W = 150 J ? And check that the original KE of 50 J goes to 200 J if the velocity doubles ? So: yes (friction effects excluded).

Changing the time shouldn't have an influence according to the formulas. They are very patient. In practice there probably will be problems when trying to do it faster. Then there is also a small matter about the ball having a size and a moment of inertia around its axis.

bobie said:
Thanks, just a couple of more questions:

- does absolutely all the work done end up in tangential KE?
Yes. There's nowhere else for it to go.
- does anything change if we change the time of the process/speed of the radial motion?
No.

Related to How Does Changing String Length Affect Work and Energy in Rotational Motion?

1. What is centrifugal force and how does it work?

Centrifugal force is an apparent force that is experienced by objects moving in a circular path. It is caused by inertia and results in an outward pull on objects in a rotating frame of reference.

2. How is centrifugal force integrated into scientific equations?

Centrifugal force is integrated into equations using the concept of rotational motion and the laws of motion, such as Newton's second law of motion. It is typically represented as a vector quantity and is included in equations to accurately calculate the motion and forces acting on objects in a rotating system.

3. What are some real-world applications of integrating centrifugal force?

Centrifugal force is used in a variety of fields, including engineering, physics, and even amusement park rides. It is commonly used in the design and operation of machines, such as turbines and centrifuges, to create rotational motion or separate materials based on their density. It is also used in the study of planetary motion and the effects of rotation on objects in space.

4. How does centrifugal force differ from centripetal force?

Centrifugal force and centripetal force are often confused, but they are actually two different forces. Centrifugal force is the apparent outward pull experienced by objects in a rotating frame of reference, while centripetal force is the actual force that keeps objects moving in a circular path. Centripetal force is directed towards the center of rotation, while centrifugal force is directed away from the center.

5. Can centrifugal force be manipulated or controlled?

Centrifugal force can be manipulated or controlled by changing the speed of rotation or the radius of the circular path. For example, increasing the speed of rotation will result in a greater centrifugal force, while decreasing the radius of the circular path will also increase the centrifugal force. Engineers and scientists can use this knowledge to design and control the motion of objects in a rotating system.