How Does Changing the Angle of a Third Polarizer Affect Light Intensity?

• Thread starter ObviousManiac
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polarization
In summary, a helium-neon laser emits an unpolarized beam of light that passes through three Polaroid filters. The intensity of the beam is Io. When the third filter is at an angle of 50˚, the intensity at point C can be calculated by finding the angular difference between the third filter's angle and the polarization angle of the light at point B. Simply replacing .375 with .375/2 or 1/2 will not result in the correct answer.
ObviousManiac

Homework Statement

A helium-neon laser emits a beam of unpolarized light thatpasses through three Polaroid filters, as shown in the figure . The intensity of the laser beam is I[itex]_{o}[/itex].
Walker.25.72.jpg

Suppose the third filter were at an angle of 50˚, what would be the intensity at point C?

Homework Equations

I = Io cos^2(x)

I = Io/2 (Unpolarized light through transmission axis)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried a bunch of things...

First I calculated the intensity at point B, which I found to be .375 Io via (1/2)Io*cos^2(30˚)

Then I tried .375Io*cos^2(50˚)

and also tried replacing .375 with .375/2 and just 1/2

But I can't get my teacher's answer, which is .331 Io

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ObviousManiac said:
First I calculated the intensity at point B, which I found to be .375 Io via (1/2)Io*cos^2(30˚)
So far so good! :approve:
Then I tried .375Io*cos^2(50˚)
But the light just passed through polarizer 2 which was configured at 30o. That means not only the light is already polarized, but the light already has a polarization angle of 30o before it even gets to polarizer 3 (the one configured at 50o).

So what's the angular difference between polarizer 3's angle and the polarization angle of the light at B?
and also tried replacing .375 with .375/2 and just 1/2
Now you're just randomly guessing.

Last edited:

Related to How Does Changing the Angle of a Third Polarizer Affect Light Intensity?

1. What is polarization and how does it work?

Polarization is a phenomenon that occurs when light waves vibrate in a specific direction, creating a pattern of oscillations. This can be achieved by passing unpolarized light through a polarizing filter, which only allows light waves vibrating in a certain direction to pass through. This results in light that is polarized in a single direction.

2. How can three polarizers be used to further polarize light?

Three polarizers can be used in a setup known as a polarizing analyzer. The first two polarizers are placed at a 90-degree angle to each other, creating a polarizing effect. A third polarizer is then placed between the first two at a 45-degree angle, allowing for even more precise control over the polarization of the light passing through.

3. What is the purpose of using three polarizers instead of two?

Using three polarizers allows for more precise control over the polarization of light. By adjusting the angle of the third polarizer, the intensity of the polarized light can be fine-tuned, which is useful in applications such as photography, microscopy, and astronomy.

4. Can three polarizers completely block out all light?

No, it is not possible for three polarizers to completely block out all light. The first two polarizers will block out most of the light, but some light will still pass through due to imperfections in the polarizers. The third polarizer can then be used to adjust the remaining light, but there will always be some residual light passing through.

5. What are some applications of using three polarizers?

Three polarizers are commonly used in photography to create polarizing filters that reduce glare and improve color saturation. They are also used in LCD screens to control the polarization of light passing through. In scientific research, three polarizers are used in experiments to study the properties of polarized light and in instruments such as polarimeters.