How Does Changing the Sign of a Constraint Affect Lagrangian Solutions?

In summary: I just know the first partials test. :)One thing I learned is that the second derivative test is not useful in Lagrange optimization problems.
Knore88
A student wishes to minimize the time required to gain a given expected average
grade, đť‘š, in her end-of-semester examinations. Let \(\displaystyle {t}_{i}\) be the time spent studying
subject i\(\displaystyle \in\){1,2}.

Suppose that the expected grade functions are \(\displaystyle {g}_{1}\)(\(\displaystyle {t}_{1}\)) = 40+8\(\displaystyle \sqrt{{t}_{i}}\) and \(\displaystyle {g}_{2}\)(\(\displaystyle {t}_{2}\)) = 2\(\displaystyle {t}_{2}\).

Thus the individual’s optimization problems is to choose \(\displaystyle {t}_{1}\) and \(\displaystyle {t}_{2}\) to minimize total studying time 𝑇 = \(\displaystyle {t}_{1}\) + \(\displaystyle {t}_{2}\) subject to obtaining a mean grade of 𝑚 where

đť‘š - \(\displaystyle \frac{[{g}_{1}({t}_{1})+{g}_{2}({t}_{2})]}{2}\) = 0

I need to write down the Lagrangian for the individual’s optimization problem and solve for the optimal choices of \(\displaystyle {t}_{1}\), \(\displaystyle {t}_{2}\) and 𝑇 in the case where the student wishes to obtain an expected mean grade of 70.

To be completely honest, I'm not sure where to start.. or really how to do the problem :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
First, for easier notation let's let $x=t_1$ and $y=t_2$. Next, we need to identify the objective function, which is the quantity we want to optimize, and this is:

\(\displaystyle T(x,y)=x+y\)

subject to the constraint:

\(\displaystyle g(x,y)=m-\frac{40+8\sqrt{x}+2y}{2}=m-20-4\sqrt{x}-y=0\)

And so, Lagrange multipliers gives rise to:

\(\displaystyle T_x=\lambda\cdot g_x\)

\(\displaystyle T_y=\lambda\cdot g_y\)

Can you compute the partials above to state the system pertaining to the problem?

\(\displaystyle {T}_{x}\)(x,y) = 1
\(\displaystyle {T}_{y}\)(x,y) = 1

\(\displaystyle {g}_{x}\)(x,y) = -\(\displaystyle \frac{2}{\sqrt{x}}\)
\(\displaystyle {g}_{y}\)(x,y) = -1

\(\displaystyle {T}_{x}\) = \(\displaystyle \lambda\)*\(\displaystyle {g}_{x}\): 1 = -\(\displaystyle \frac{2}{\sqrt{x}}\)\(\displaystyle \lambda\)

\(\displaystyle {T}_{y}\) = \(\displaystyle \lambda\)*\(\displaystyle {g}_{y}\): 1 = -\(\displaystyle \lambda\)

How does this look?

Knore88 said:
\(\displaystyle {T}_{x}\)(x,y) = 1
\(\displaystyle {T}_{y}\)(x,y) = 1

\(\displaystyle {g}_{x}\)(x,y) = -\(\displaystyle \frac{2}{\sqrt{x}}\)
\(\displaystyle {g}_{y}\)(x,y) = -1

\(\displaystyle {T}_{x}\) = \(\displaystyle \lambda\)*\(\displaystyle {g}_{x}\): 1 = -\(\displaystyle \frac{2}{\sqrt{x}}\)\(\displaystyle \lambda\)

\(\displaystyle {T}_{y}\) = \(\displaystyle \lambda\)*\(\displaystyle {g}_{y}\): 1 = -\(\displaystyle \lambda\)

How does this look?

That looks good! (Yes)

So what implication do you draw from this?

Does it imply that \(\displaystyle \lambda\) = -1 and/or x = 4 ?

Knore88 said:
Does it imply that \(\displaystyle \lambda\) = -1 and/or x = 4 ?

Yes...and it is $x$ we are interested in. So, if $x=4$, then what must $y$ be, according to our constraint?

Plugging x = 4 into our constraint we get

m - 20 - 4\(\displaystyle \sqrt{4}\) - y = 0

y = m - 28, and if m = 70, then y = 42?

Knore88 said:
Plugging x = 4 into our constraint we get

m - 20 - 4\(\displaystyle \sqrt{4}\) - y = 0

y = m - 28, and if m = 70, then y = 42?

Yes, $y=m-28$, but I would wait before using $m=70$ just yet. So, we now have:

\(\displaystyle T(4,m-28)=4+m-28=m-24\)

Now we must demonstrate that we have minimized $T$, rather than maximized it. To do this, we may pick another point on $g$, such as $(x,y)=(25,m)$...what do we find about $T$ at this point?

No problem.

T(25, m) = m + 25 (this is larger)

But why do we choose this point?

Knore88 said:
No problem.

T(25, m) = m + 25 (this is larger)

But why do we choose this point?

We may choose any point on the constraint, other than our critical point. I chose that one because it was simple to find. :)

And yes, you are right:

\(\displaystyle T(25,m)>T(4,m-28)\)

And so we may conclude that:

\(\displaystyle T_{\min}=T(4,m-28)=m-24\)

Now you may substitute for $m=70$. :D

Substituting for m = 70 we have,

T = 46
\(\displaystyle {t}_{1}\) = 4
\(\displaystyle {t}_{2}\) = 42

T(4, 42) = 46 for an m of 70?

Knore88 said:
Substituting for m = 70 we have,

T = 46
\(\displaystyle {t}_{1}\) = 4
\(\displaystyle {t}_{2}\) = 42

T(4, 42) = 46 for an m of 70?

Yes, looks good to me! (Yes)

Further on this question I need to check the second order conditions.

\(\displaystyle D(x,y,\lambda) = ({f}_{xx}-\lambda {g}_{xx}){({g}_{y})}^{2} - 2({f}_{xy}-\lambda {g}_{xy}){g}_{x}{g}_{y}+({f}_{yy}-\lambda {g}_{yy}){({g}_{x})}^{2}\)

\(\displaystyle {g}_{y}=-1\)

\(\displaystyle {g}_{x}=-2{x}^{-\frac{1}{2}}\)

\(\displaystyle {g}_{xx}={x}^{-\frac{3}{2}}\)

\(\displaystyle {g}_{yy}=0\)

\(\displaystyle {g}_{xy}=0\)

\(\displaystyle {f}_{xx}=0\)

\(\displaystyle {f}_{yy}=0\)

\(\displaystyle {f}_{xy}=0\)

\(\displaystyle D(x,y,\lambda)=(0 - \lambda {x}^{-\frac{2}{3}}){(-1)}^{2} - 2(0 - \lambda0)(-2{x}^{-\frac{1}{2}})(-1) + (0 - \lambda0){(-2{x}^{-\frac{1}{2}})}^{2} =- \lambda {x}^{-\frac{2}{3}} \)

Because \(\displaystyle - \lambda {x}^{-\frac{2}{3}} < 0\) it infers that it is a max.

Can you see where I am going wrong?

Well, didn't you find $\lambda=-1$? And so $-\lambda x^{-\frac{2}{3}}>0$...

Of course. Sorry.

In a situation like this would you state

\(\displaystyle -\lambda {x}^{-\frac{2}{3}} > 0 \) for all \(\displaystyle x > 0\) or do you use the value of \(\displaystyle x\) we already found \(\displaystyle x=4 \therefore -\lambda {x}^{-\frac{2}{3}} = 0.125 > 0\)

Thank you again

Knore88 said:
Of course. Sorry.

In a situation like this would you state

\(\displaystyle -\lambda {x}^{-\frac{2}{3}} > 0 \) for all \(\displaystyle x > 0\) or do you use the value of \(\displaystyle x\) we already found \(\displaystyle x=4 \therefore -\lambda {x}^{-\frac{2}{3}} = 0.125 > 0\)

Thank you again

I was taught simply to use other points on the constraint to determine the nature of single critical points. In the case of functions of 2 variables, if we can solve the constraint for at least one of the variables, then we can express the objective function in terms of 1 variable and determine the nature of the extremum using Calc I methods.

To be honest, I didn't even know a second partials test existed for Lagrange multipliers.

Hey Mark,

I was just told

"To avoid some confusion in this question, I'll point out that you need to have the constraint in the form "g(x, y) - c" in order to get the correct sign for the Lagrange multiplier. In other words, you need to multiply the constraint, as it's given, by minus one."

So this changes the constraint from

\(\displaystyle m - \frac{40+8\sqrt{x}+2y}{2}=0\) to \(\displaystyle \frac{40-8\sqrt{x}-2y}{2}-m=0\) or \(\displaystyle 20-4\sqrt{x}-2y-m\)

Am I interpreting this correctly?

It has some implication to the answer we derived when we come to finding y.

If we multiply the constraint, equated to zero, by -1, then we will get the same implication...so I don't see how that makes any difference.

When we get to finding y:

\(\displaystyle 20-4\sqrt{x}-y-m=0\)

\(\displaystyle 20-8-y-m=0\)

\(\displaystyle 12-y-m=0\)

\(\displaystyle y=12-m\)

or do we assume \(\displaystyle \sqrt{4}=-2\)?

The constraint we used is:

\(\displaystyle g(x,y)=m-20-4\sqrt{x}-y=0\)

Now, instead, suppose we use:

\(\displaystyle g(x,y)=20+4\sqrt{x}+y-m=0\)

Recall the objective function is:

\(\displaystyle T(x,y)=x+y\)

ANd so, using Lagrange, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle 1=\lambda\left(\frac{2}{\sqrt{x}}\right)\)

\(\displaystyle 1=\lambda(1)\)

And so this implies:

\(\displaystyle \frac{2}{\sqrt{x}}=1\implies x=4\)

This is the same implication we drew using the original constraint.

See if you can demonstrate in general that changing the constraint $g(x,y)=0$ to $-g(x,y)=0$ leads to the same implication. :D

Related to How Does Changing the Sign of a Constraint Affect Lagrangian Solutions?

What is Lagrangian optimization?

Lagrangian optimization is a mathematical method used to find the maximum or minimum value of a function, subject to a set of constraints. It is named after Joseph-Louis Lagrange, who first developed the method in the late 1700s.

What are the main components of Lagrangian optimization?

The main components of Lagrangian optimization are the objective function, the set of constraints, and the Lagrangian multiplier. The objective function is the function that is being optimized, while the constraints are the conditions that the solution must satisfy. The Lagrangian multiplier is a scalar value that is used to incorporate the constraints into the objective function.

What is the difference between equality and inequality constraints in Lagrangian optimization?

Equality constraints are conditions that must be satisfied exactly, while inequality constraints are conditions that must be satisfied within a range. In Lagrangian optimization, equality constraints are incorporated into the objective function using Lagrange multipliers, while inequality constraints are incorporated using a technique known as the Karush-Kuhn-Tucker conditions.

What are some real-world applications of Lagrangian optimization?

Lagrangian optimization has many applications in fields such as economics, engineering, and physics. Some examples of real-world applications include portfolio optimization in finance, optimal control of dynamic systems, and finding the shortest path for a robot to navigate through obstacles.

What are the limitations of Lagrangian optimization?

Lagrangian optimization may not always find the global optimum solution, especially for non-convex problems. In addition, the method can become computationally intensive for large and complex problems. Furthermore, the method requires strong assumptions and may not be applicable to all types of optimization problems.

Back