How does charge behave in a moving object?

• Thread starter atmost20characters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charge
In summary, it is unclear if the charge distribution would be shifted due to the movement or just by being place inside another uncharged object. If the sphere is charged and in free space and is allowed to acceleration by gravity, then as far as I can see the radial electric field lines will be swept back, as per the Larmor radiation mechanism. This will cause charges to be slowly dragged towards the trailing side of the sphere. In doing so they will constitute a current, and the trailing side will acquire more charges than the leading side, so a potential difference will exist across the sphere. Energy will be radiated from the sphere, so it will accelerate less than
atmost20characters
Specifically, if I had a sphere or cylinder that accelerated upward or downward, it's clear that the distribution of charge, rho, would shift. However would the density turn into some function of increasing rho as the radius increases? I assumed that the density of charge would basically turn into a blob and I'd need to integrate the non uniform surface of charge then, but I'm making a lot of assumptions I'm not confident with. Would appreciate any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Max20, :welcome:
atmost20characters said:
it's clear that the distribution of charge, rho, would shift
Could you explain that, if it is so clear ?

BvU said:
Hello Max20, :welcome:
Could you explain that, if it is so clear ?
The specific scenario given was a sphere with uniform charge density is placed in an elevator, so I suppose the charge distribution would change if the sphere was a conductor? so then the charge would be on the outer surface of the sphere. This is why I was unsure, I wasn't positive if the charge distribution was moved due to the movement or just by being place inside another uncharged object.

I imagine that there could be a certain degree of polarisation of the sphere due to the acceleration. But you would need to specify what actually happens to cause the acceleration. Contact with the floor of the elevator would be providing the accelerating force which would be distorting the sphere . You can't have any 'ideal' situations when you are looking this deep into the situation so you would have to include the disturbance of charges due to mechanical strain of the sphere.

So which is it ?

atmost20characters said:
sphere or cylinder that accelerated upward or downward

atmost20characters said:
by being place inside another uncharged object
I still don't see what is so clear to you ...

Last edited:
sophiecentaur said:
But you would need to specify what actually happens to cause the acceleration.
I am bumping this question @almost20characters because you need to describe your experiment more fully before you can predict a result.
A mechanical force implies added Electric Forces. A gravitational force (uniform Field) would accelerate everything the same so no relative displacement of charges.

sophiecentaur said:
A gravitational force (uniform Field) would accelerate everything the same so no relative displacement of charges.
This seems ludicrously theoretical, so please shoot me down! If the sphere is charged and in free space and is allowed to accelerate by gravity, then as far as I can see the radial electric field lines will be swept back, as per the Larmor radiation mechanism. This will cause charges to be slowly dragged towards the trailing side of the sphere. In doing so they will constitute a current, and the trailing side will acquire more charges than the leading side, so a potential difference will exist across the sphere.
Energy will be radiated from the sphere, so it will accelerate less than g. The radiation will, however, be very small, because the wavelength will correspond to the duration of the fall, and the distance traveled will be very small compared to this wavelength.
When the sphere stops, charges will return to equilibrium and as they do so, more radiation will occur as the charges bounce back and forth a few times due to the resonance of the sphere.

Elevators don't accelerate so fast ...

atmost20characters said:
The specific scenario given was a sphere with uniform charge density is placed in an elevator, so I suppose the charge distribution would change if the sphere was a conductor? so then the charge would be on the outer surface of the sphere. This is why I was unsure, I wasn't positive if the charge distribution was moved due to the movement or just by being place inside another uncharged object.
Let's move this to homework and use the template there: a full problem description is very helpful.

atmost20characters said:
Specifically, if I had a sphere or cylinder that accelerated upward or downward, it's clear that the distribution of charge, rho, would shift. However would the density turn into some function of increasing rho as the radius increases? I assumed that the density of charge would basically turn into a blob and I'd need to integrate the non uniform surface of charge then, but I'm making a lot of assumptions I'm not confident with. Would appreciate any help!
atmost20characters said:
BvU said:
Let's move this to homework and use the template there: a full problem description is very helpful.
At the moment, the Mentors are unsure whether to move this to the Homework Help forums. But we are unanimous that the OP needs to show a lot more effort in this thread.

@atmost20characters -- Please show us what Relevant Equations you think would apply to this type of problem, and try putting in some numbers to see if you can calculate whether there is any appreciable charge density change with acceleration...

Related to How does charge behave in a moving object?

1. How does a moving object affect its electric charge?

When a charged object is in motion, it creates a magnetic field around it. This magnetic field interacts with the electric field of the object, causing the charge to experience a force in a direction perpendicular to both the magnetic and electric fields. This force can alter the charge's behavior, such as changing its trajectory or causing it to emit electromagnetic radiation.

2. Why does a moving object have a magnetic field?

According to Maxwell's equations, whenever there is a changing electric field, a magnetic field is induced. Since a moving object has a changing electric field, it also produces a magnetic field. This is known as electromagnetic induction.

3. How does the direction of motion affect the behavior of charge?

The direction of motion can determine the direction and strength of the induced magnetic field, which in turn affects the behavior of the charge. For example, if the charge is moving parallel to a magnetic field, it will experience a force that is perpendicular to both the magnetic field and its direction of motion.

4. What happens to the charge when the object is accelerated?

When an object is accelerated, its velocity changes, and therefore its electric and magnetic fields also change. This can result in a change in the behavior of the charge, such as a change in its direction of motion or emission of electromagnetic radiation.

5. How does the speed of the object affect its electric charge?

The speed of the object can affect its electric charge in several ways. As the object's speed increases, the strength of its magnetic field increases, which can alter the behavior of the charge. Additionally, at very high speeds, relativistic effects can come into play, causing changes in the electric and magnetic fields and the behavior of the charge.