How Does Collision Time Affect Impulse and Momentum Change?

• Thread starter Sylis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the conversation discusses two examples of a truck coasting at 30mph and colliding with different obstacles. Questions a) and b) ask about the change in momentum and impulse during the collision. The answers to both are the same assuming the trucks have the same mass. Question c) asks about making bridge abutments safer, and the answer involves increasing the time interval and lessening the force of the impulse. The experts also clarify that it is force, not impulse, that causes injury.
Sylis

Homework Statement

Consider the two examples that follow:

Example A. The figure below shows a truck coasting at a speed of 30mph just before it hits a large, impenetrable b ridge abutment. The truck's engine is off. The truck is brought very quickly to a complete stop in a time interval of Δt=0.020s when it has a collision with bridge abutment.

Example B. The figure below shows a truck, identical to the truck in Example A, coasting at a speed of 30 mph just before it hits a series of large barrels containing water or sand. The trucks engine is off. The truck is brought more slowly to a complete stop in a time interval of Δt=0.20s when it has a collision with the large barrels.

a) Which truck has a larger change in momentum during its collision when it is brought to a stop?

b) Which truck has a larger impulse during the collision when it is brought to a stop?

c) If you were a civil engineer trying to make bridge abutments safer for vehicles that collide with them what would you do? You should consider your answers to the previous two questions and the results of Exploration 20 (which we haven't done yet) as you formulate your answer to this question.

Homework Equations

J=ΔP=m(Vf-Vi)

The Attempt at a Solution

I wrote for problem a) that "Assuming the trucks have the same mass, considering that they each have identical initial and final velocities the two trucks would have the same change in momentum because of the formula ΔP=m(Vf-Vi)"

And problem b) I wrote " Impulse for each truck would be the same again assuming the masses are the same because of J=ΔP=m(Vf-Vi)".

I thought I had it questions a) and b) correct until I read c) and now I'm not so sure. In my notes I have that J=ΔP=m(Vf-Vi), however that FavgΔt=m(Vf-Vi). I mean if questions a or b had asked about force, my answers to them would have been different because of the change in time interval for each scenario, but they didn't they specifically asked about impulse and change in momentum.

My answer to c would be something like "In order to make the bridge abutments safer I would increase the time interval and lessen the force of the impulse."

Am I correct in my statements considering the way the questions are worded? I don't think you need the figures and I haven't changed any wording.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answers to questions a) and b) are perfectly correct. And your answer to c is most reasonable.

Likes 1 person
Hello Sylis. Yes, you are thinking correctly! It's not impulse that causes injury, it's force.

Thank you. I started to second guess myself there at the last part. Appreciate the reassurance.

I would like to clarify some of the concepts and equations mentioned in this question.

Firstly, let's define impulse and change in momentum. Impulse (J) is the product of force (F) and time (Δt) and is represented by the equation J = FΔt. On the other hand, change in momentum (ΔP) is the difference between the final momentum (Pf) and initial momentum (Pi) of an object and is represented by the equation ΔP = Pf - Pi.

In Example A, the truck is brought to a complete stop in a very short time interval (Δt = 0.020s) when it hits the bridge abutment. This means that the force of the collision is very high, resulting in a large impulse and a large change in momentum. In Example B, the truck is brought to a complete stop in a longer time interval (Δt = 0.20s) when it hits the barrels. This means that the force of the collision is lower, resulting in a smaller impulse and a smaller change in momentum.

To answer question a), both trucks have the same mass and initial and final velocities, so their change in momentum would be the same. However, the truck in Example A experiences a higher force and a shorter time interval, resulting in a larger impulse.

For question b), the impulse would be the same for both trucks, as the mass and change in velocity are the same.

In regards to question c), as a civil engineer, I would consider increasing the time interval of the collision in order to reduce the force and impulse experienced by the truck. This could be achieved by implementing measures such as crash cushions, barriers, or other energy-absorbing materials to slow down the vehicle gradually and reduce the impact force. This would ultimately make the bridge abutments safer for vehicles that collide with them.

Related to How Does Collision Time Affect Impulse and Momentum Change?

What is impulse/change in momentum?

Impulse/change in momentum is a physical quantity that measures the amount of change in an object's momentum over a period of time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How is impulse/change in momentum calculated?

Impulse/change in momentum is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the time it is applied. It can also be calculated by finding the change in momentum of an object by subtracting its initial momentum from its final momentum.

What is the relationship between impulse/change in momentum and force?

According to Newton's Second Law, impulse/change in momentum is directly proportional to the force applied to an object. This means that a larger force will result in a larger impulse/change in momentum.

Why is impulse/change in momentum important?

Impulse/change in momentum is important because it helps us understand how forces affect the motion of objects. It is also used in many real-world applications, such as in sports to increase the momentum of a ball or in car safety features to reduce the impact force in a collision.

What is the principle of conservation of momentum?

The principle of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before an event is equal to the total momentum after the event. This means that momentum cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred between objects.