How Does Connecting Capacitors in Parallel Affect Charge and Potential?

• Thread starter Jalo
  • Start date
In summary, when connecting a capacitator of capacity C1 and charge Q to an initially uncharged capacitator C2 in parallel, the final charge on each capacitator can be found by setting q1=C1V and q2=C2V, where V is the final potential difference across both capacitators. The initial charge, Q, is equal to the sum of the final charges, q1 and q2. Therefore, V can be expressed as V=Q/C1+Q/C2.
Jalo

Homework Statement

;-------| |---------;
| |
| |
'-------| |---------'

Consider a capacitator of capacity C1 charged with a charge Q. Suppose you connect it in parallel to another capacitator, C2, initially uncharged.

Find the final charge and difference of potencial at each condensator.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the initial charge Q will be equal to:

Q = q1+q2 , where q1 and q2 is the final charge of capacitator 1 and 2.
The difference of potential, V, is equal in both the capacitators. Therefore I can say that

q1 = Q - q2 = Q - C2/V = [ QV - C2 ] / V

I don't know where to go from here. I don't think I can get anywhere... If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate!

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're thinking in the right direction.

Initially there is a charge on C1 equal to Qi1. There is no charge on C2.

In the end, the voltage across both capacitors is equal, so:

Vf1 = Vf2; Qf1/C1 = Qf2/C2

I'm using Qi as initial charge and Qf as final charge.

Between the initial state and the final state, charge moves from capacitor C1 to capacitor C2. If you assume a charge dQ moves from C1 to C2, you should be able to say something about Qf1 and Qf2 in terms of Qi1.

Jalo said:

Homework Statement

;-------| |---------;
| |
| |
'-------| |---------'

Consider a capacitator of capacity C1 charged with a charge Q. Suppose you connect it in parallel to another capacitator, C2, initially uncharged.

Find the final charge and difference of potencial at each condensator.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the initial charge Q will be equal to:

Q = q1+q2 , where q1 and q2 is the final charge of capacitator 1 and 2.
The difference of potential, V, is equal in both the capacitators. Therefore I can say that

q1 = Q - q2 = Q - C2/V = [ QV - C2 ] / V

I don't know where to go from here. I don't think I can get anywhere... If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate!

Thanks.

Q=CV. AS the potential difference is the same across the parallel connected capacitors, q1=C1V and q2 = C2V. q1+q2=Q. Can you find V in terms of Q and C1, C2? ehild

ehild said:
Q=CV. AS the potential difference is the same across the parallel connected capacitors, q1=C1V and q2 = C2V. q1+q2=Q. Can you find V in terms of Q and C1, C2?

ehild

Oh, so simple... I got to the correct result. Thank you very much!

To find the final charge and difference of potential at each capacitator, you can use the equation for capacitance in parallel:

C = C1 + C2

Since the capacitators are connected in parallel, the voltage across them will be the same. This means that the final charge on both capacitators will be equal, let's call it Qf. So we can write:

Qf = C1V = C2V

And since C1 = Q/C1 and C2 = Qf/C2, we can rewrite the equation as:

Q/C1 = Qf/C2

Solving for Qf, we get:

Qf = C2Q/C1

Now, using the equation for capacitance in parallel, we can substitute C2 for C1 in the above equation:

Qf = (C1 + C2)Q/C1

Simplifying, we get:

Qf = Q + C2Q/C1

So the final charge on the first capacitator will be Q + C2Q/C1, and the final charge on the second capacitator will be C2Q/C1. To find the difference of potential at each capacitator, we can use the equation V = Q/C, where C is the capacitance of each capacitator. So the difference of potential at the first capacitator will be:

V1 = (Q + C2Q/C1)/C1 = Q/C1 + C2Q/C1^2

Similarly, the difference of potential at the second capacitator will be:

V2 = (C2Q/C1)/C2 = Q/C1

So the final charge and difference of potential at each capacitator will be:

Final charge at C1 = Q + C2Q/C1
Final charge at C2 = C2Q/C1
Difference of potential at C1 = Q/C1 + C2Q/C1^2
Difference of potential at C2 = Q/C1

Related to How Does Connecting Capacitors in Parallel Affect Charge and Potential?

1. What is the Association of Capacitators?

The Association of Capacitators refers to the relationship or connection between two or more capacitors in an electrical circuit. It describes how these capacitors are connected and how they interact with each other.

2. What is the purpose of associating capacitators?

The purpose of associating capacitators is to achieve a desired capacitance value or to change the overall behavior of the circuit. By connecting capacitors in different configurations, it is possible to increase or decrease the total capacitance, as well as to change the frequency response and filtering characteristics of the circuit.

3. What are the different ways to associate capacitators?

There are three main ways to associate capacitators: in series, in parallel, and in a combination of series-parallel. In series, the capacitators are connected one after the other, while in parallel, they are connected side by side. In a series-parallel combination, some capacitors are connected in series, while others are connected in parallel.

4. How does associating capacitators affect the voltage and current in a circuit?

In series association, the voltage across each capacitor is the same, while the total capacitance is reduced. In parallel association, the voltage across each capacitor is also the same, while the total capacitance is increased. The current in a series association is the same through each capacitor, while in a parallel association, the total current is divided among the capacitors.

5. What are some practical applications of associating capacitators?

Associating capacitators is commonly used in electronic circuits for filtering, tuning, and energy storage purposes. It is also used in power systems to improve power factor and stability. Additionally, associating capacitators is essential in the design and functioning of devices such as radios, televisions, and computers.