How Does Conservation of Momentum Determine the Trajectory of Rocket Fragments?

In summary, a 1550 kg weather rocket accelerates upward at 20 m/s2 and explodes 2.0 s after liftoff, breaking into two fragments. The lighter fragment reaches a maximum height of 530 m while the heavier fragment travels downward. To find the speed and direction of the heavier fragment just after the explosion, one can use the principle of conservation of momentum and the equations for calculating final velocity and velocity of each fragment.
DStan27
A 1550 kg weather rocket accelerates upward at 20 m/s2. It explodes 2.0 s after liftoff and breaks into two fragments, one twice as massive as the other. Photos reveal that the lighter fragment traveled straight up and reached a maximum height of 530 m. What were the speed and direction of the heavier fragment just after the explosion?

is there a way to use momentum and distance to find the speed. i know the second particle goes downward, but i can't figure out how to do this. I've tried everything i can think of.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
should i be using mv = m1v1 + m2v2??

DStan27 said:
should i be using mv = m1v1 + m2v2??

Is momentum conserved in this situation? If so, then you should be. Don't ask, "should I be using such and such equation?" Ask, "which physical principle applies to this situation?"

Anyway, have you figured out how to calculate v, the final velocity of the rocket? What about v1, the velocity of the less massive fragment? That should be simple kinematics in both cases. Once you have calculated those velocities, do you have the information you need to solve the problem?

FAQ: How Does Conservation of Momentum Determine the Trajectory of Rocket Fragments?

1. What are particles and momentum?

Particles are tiny units of matter that make up the universe, while momentum is the measure of an object's motion or inertia.

2. How are particles and momentum related?

Particles have momentum because they have mass and velocity, and momentum can be transferred between particles through interactions such as collisions.

3. Why is momentum important in science and everyday life?

Momentum is important in science because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion. In everyday life, momentum is crucial in activities such as sports and transportation.

4. Can particles have zero momentum?

Yes, particles can have zero momentum if they are at rest or have no velocity.

5. How is momentum conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, the total momentum remains constant, meaning that the total momentum before an interaction or event is equal to the total momentum after the interaction or event.

Back