How Does Cooling Water Temperature Affect Heat Exchanger Efficiency?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of heat load and required heat exchanger area for a co-current heat exchanger cooling a hydraulic fluid from 60◦C to 35◦C using cooling water at 15◦C. By using the heat load equation Q = flowrate*heat_capacity*(Tout - Tin) and the equation A= Q / h(or U)*LMTD, the heat load of 195,000 J/s and area of 20.60 m^2 were determined.
ScienceChem

Homework Statement

A hydraulic fluid initially at 60◦C is cooled to 35◦C using a co-current heat exchanger. Cooling water is available at 15◦C, which must not exceed 30◦C on leaving the heat exchanger. The flow rate of the hydraulic fluid is 1.5 kg/s, which has a specific heat of 5.2 J/gํ C. Calculate the heat to be removed from the hydraulic fluid and the area required for the heat exchanger. Assume no fouling takes place. U = 520 W/m2°C

Homework Equations

Co-current heat exchanger: LMTD = {(Ti-ti)-(To-to)} / ln{(Ti-ti)/(To-to)}
Ti = temp of cooling / heating water in
ti = temp of liquid to be cooled / heated in

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to begin with this!

Physics news on Phys.org
"Start at the beginning. Go on to the end. Then, stop." ___ Caterpillar to Alice(?)

You really do need to take a stab at it before we jump in.
ScienceChem said:
1. (snip)
A hydraulic fluid initially at 60◦C is cooled to 35◦C ... (snip) The flow rate of the hydraulic fluid is 1.5 kg/s, which has a specific heat of 5.2 J/gํ C. Calculate the heat to be removed from the hydraulic fluid and the area required for the heat exchanger. Assume no fouling takes place. U = 520 W/m2°C
(snip)

From the information in the first two sentences, you can calculate the heat load of the heat exchanger. You know the flow rate of the fluid, its heat capacity, and its temperature change. So, what's the heat load?

Chet

So the heat load, using the formula given would then be:
LMTD = {(Ti-ti)-(To-to)} / ln{(Ti-ti)/(To-to)}
= {(15-60)-(30-35)}/ln{(15-60)/(30-35)}
= {(-45)-(-5)} / ln(-45/-5)
= {(-40) / (2.197)}
= -18.20
So I know:
-flow rate is 1.5 kg/s
-specific heat is 5.2 J/g degree C
-LMTD is -18.20

Would I then put this into the Q = Qin - Qout = flowrate*heat_capacity*(Tout - Tin)
But substitute as Q= flowrate*heat capacity*LMTD?

You seem to be very confused. I am going to recommend that you go back to your text and re-read the chapter on this again.

The heat load is defined as the rate at which heat gets removed from the hot stream, and you correctly gave one equation for it as: Q = = flowrate*heat_capacity*(Tout - Tin)

But, there is another equation involving the heat transfer coefficient, the heat transfer area, and the LMTD. You need to write this equation down also, and then you have to set the two heat load relationships equal to one another.

Chet

Okay I think I got this!
We use q=m*Cp*deltaT to find our heat that would be removed
thus: q = (1.5kg/s)*(5200 J/kgdegreesC)*(60-35)
q=195 000 J/s

then to get the area, we would use A= q / h(or U)*LMTD
so A= 195000 J/S / (520 W/m^2degreesC * 18.20)
A=20.60 m^2

Seems right now?

ScienceChem said:
Okay I think I got this!
We use q=m*Cp*deltaT to find our heat that would be removed
thus: q = (1.5kg/s)*(5200 J/kgdegreesC)*(60-35)
q=195 000 J/s

then to get the area, we would use A= q / h(or U)*LMTD
so A= 195000 J/S / (520 W/m^2degreesC * 18.20)
A=20.60 m^2

Seems right now?
Yes. Your methodology is correct now. I haven't checked your arithmetic.

Chet

Related to How Does Cooling Water Temperature Affect Heat Exchanger Efficiency?

1. What is a co-current heat exchanger?

A co-current heat exchanger is a type of heat exchanger where both the hot and cold fluids flow in the same direction, parallel to each other. This allows for efficient heat transfer between the two fluids.

2. How does a co-current heat exchanger work?

In a co-current heat exchanger, the hot fluid enters at one end and flows through the heat transfer surface, transferring its heat to the cold fluid as it travels in the same direction. The cold fluid exits at the other end, having gained heat from the hot fluid.

3. What are the advantages of a co-current heat exchanger?

The main advantage of a co-current heat exchanger is its high efficiency, as the fluids are flowing in the same direction and can transfer heat more effectively. It also has a smaller footprint compared to other types of heat exchangers, making it suitable for space-limited applications.

4. What are some common applications of co-current heat exchangers?

Co-current heat exchangers are commonly used in industries such as chemical, oil and gas, and food processing. They are also used in heating and cooling systems for buildings, as well as in power plants for energy generation and waste heat recovery.

5. How do you maintain a co-current heat exchanger?

Regular maintenance is important to ensure the optimal performance of a co-current heat exchanger. This includes cleaning the heat transfer surfaces, checking for any leaks or corrosion, and replacing any worn out parts. It is also important to monitor the flow rates and temperatures of the fluids to ensure efficient heat transfer.

Back