How does denseness in Q imply a sequence exists converging to x in R?

• Thread starter Artusartos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, according to the text, denseness in number Q implies that there exists a sequence of rational numbers converging to x. Furthermore, if x is irrational, then starting from any rational number, you can find a sequence of rational numbers converging to x.
Artusartos
In this link:

http://math.berkeley.edu/~scanez/courses/math104/fall11/homework/hw7-solns.pdf

In number 3, the text says "By the denseness of Q in R, there exists a sequence [itex](r_n)[/itex] of rationals converging to x."

I have several questions about this:

1) Why/how does denseness imply that there exists a sequence? Becuase Q is dense in R, we know that any two real numbers have a rational number between them. But how does that tell us that there is a "sequence" of rational numbers?

2) Do we have to assume that x is an irrational number?

3) Does this statement mean that for every irrational number, there is a sequence of rational number converging to it?

Thanks in advance...

Physics news on Phys.org
Artusartos said:
1) Why/how does denseness imply that there exists a sequence? Becuase Q is dense in R, we know that any two real numbers have a rational number between them.
Well, that's not all that denseness tells you. Between any two even integers is an odd integer, but that doesn't mean that the odd integers are dense in the even integers. What is the definition of denseness?

2) Do we have to assume that x is an irrational number?
The first paragraph proves that f(x) = x for any rational x. The second paragraph uses that fact, but you don't have to assume that x is irrational in the second paragraph. The argument also works for rational x, because given a rational number, you can certainly find a sequence of rationals converging to that number.

3) Does this statement mean that for every irrational number, there is a sequence of rational number converging to it?
I'm not sure what "this statement" refers to, but it's true that for every irrational number, there is a sequence of rational numbers converging to it.

If [itex]x[/itex] is irrational, start by picking any rational, say [itex]r_1[/itex]. Since [itex]x \neq r_1[/itex], the distance between these numbers is positive: [itex]|x - r_1| > 0[/itex]. Choose a rational [itex]r_2[/itex] such that [itex]|x - r_2| < (1/2)|x - r_1|[/itex], i.e. [itex]r_2[/itex] is less than half the distance from [itex]x[/itex] as [itex]r_1[/itex].

Then just keep repeating this process. At the n'th step, you will choose a rational [itex]r_n[/itex] such that [itex]|x - r_n| < (1/2)^n |x - r_1|[/itex]. Clearly the sequence [itex]r_n[/itex] converges to [itex]x[/itex].

Another, more concrete (but less rigorous) way to see this is to consider the decimal expansion of [itex]x[/itex]. Any real number has a decimal expansion. You can form a sequence of rationals converging to the real number by simply taking more and more digits, e.g.

[itex]x_1 = 3[/itex]
[itex]x_2 = 3.1[/itex]
[itex]x_3 = 3.14[/itex]
[itex]x_4 = 3.141[/itex]
[itex]x_5 = 3.1415[/itex]
[itex]x_6 = 3.14159[/itex]
and so on

jbunniii said:
Well, that's not all that denseness tells you. Between any two even integers is an odd integer, but that doesn't mean that the odd integers are dense in the even integers. What is the definition of denseness?

This is the definition that my textbook gives us "If a,b in R and a < b, then there is a rational r in Q such that a < r < b".

But I think I understand why sequences exist, from the answer you gave to my 3rd question. Thanks a lot. :)

Related to How does denseness in Q imply a sequence exists converging to x in R?

1. What is analysis?

Analysis is the process of breaking down a complex topic or system into smaller parts in order to better understand its components and how they work together.

2. Why is analysis important?

Analysis allows scientists to gather information and draw conclusions from data, which can then be used to make informed decisions and improve understanding of a topic or system.

3. What are the steps involved in analysis?

The steps involved in analysis typically include defining the problem or question, collecting data, organizing and examining the data, identifying patterns or trends, and drawing conclusions or making predictions based on the findings.

4. What are some common tools used in analysis?

Some common tools used in analysis include statistical software, spreadsheets, graphs and charts, and various mathematical and computational models.

5. How is analysis used in scientific research?

Analysis is a fundamental part of the scientific method and is used in all stages of the research process, from formulating a hypothesis to interpreting and communicating results.