How Does Differential Calculus Estimate Changes in Box Volume?

In summary, the change in volume of a box if the length increases from 5 feet to 5.05 feet, the width decreases from 4 feet to 3.97 feet, and the depth increases from 3 feet to 3.02 feet is -0.07 cubic feet.
p4nda
Approximate, using differentials, the change in volume of a box if the length increases from 5 feet to 5.05 feet, the width decreases from 4 feet to 3.97 feet, and the depth increases from 3 feet to 3.02 feet. Then, find the actual change in volume and compare the results.

Any ideas on how to solve this problem or what I should use/start out with? (Don't worry, it's not a HW problem.)

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't matter if it's a HW problem per se or not. If it's a HW-type problem, it goes in the Homework Help forum.

The volume of a box is a function of 3 variables: l, w and h. And the derivative (and partial derivatives for that matter) give the rate at which the function changes. For instance, if V(l,w,h) is the volume function, then

[tex]\frac{\partial V}{\partial w}(l_0,w_0,h_0)[/itex] is a number with "units" of (volume)/(units of width). It gives the amount by which the volume would vary if you were to modify the width, when length is l_0, width is w_0 and height is h_0.

Write out the equation for V (volume) as a function of x,y,z (height, width, length) [which is trivial]. Find dV as a function of x,y,z and dx,dy,dz. Plug in the values you are given.

Sorry, but do I take the partial derivatives of the l, w, and h then plug it into the total differentiation formula? I am confused as to how I can take the partial derivative of (e.g. 5 feet to 5.05 feet)?

p4nda said:
Sorry, but do I take the partial derivatives of the l, w, and h then plug it into the total differentiation formula? I am confused as to how I can take the partial derivative of (e.g. 5 feet to 5.05 feet)?

One step at a time. Did you follow the instructions of HallsofIvy?
Once you have that, just plug in for dx, dy and dz the actual changes in those values.

p4nda said:

Another hint, in case you are trying to understand what Quasar said.

The volume is a function of x, y and z, right? So volume =V(x,y,z).

Now, if any of the variables changes, the volume will change by the amount

[tex] dV = \frac{\partial V}{\partial x} dx + \frac{\partial V}{\partial y} dy
+ \frac{\partial V}{\partial z} dz [/tex]

Just calculate this expression (in terms of variables, no numerical values yet) and then everywhere you see an x, plug in the initial value of the length along x, everywhere you see a y, plug in the value of the initial length along y, etc and for dx plug in the value of the change of length along x (put it negative if the length along x decreased) and so on for dy and dz.

Patrick

Related to How Does Differential Calculus Estimate Changes in Box Volume?

1. What is a differential story problem?

A differential story problem is a type of mathematical word problem that involves finding the rate of change of a variable over time. It typically involves a story or scenario that provides context for the problem and requires the use of differential equations to solve.

2. How is a differential story problem solved?

To solve a differential story problem, you must first read and understand the given scenario. Then, you can set up a differential equation that represents the rate of change described in the problem. Finally, you can use mathematical techniques such as separation of variables or integrating factors to solve the equation and find the solution.

3. What are some real-life applications of differential story problems?

Differential story problems are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and solve real-world situations involving rates of change. Examples include predicting population growth, analyzing the flow of fluids in pipes, and determining optimal production rates for a business.

4. What are some tips for solving difficult differential story problems?

One helpful tip for solving difficult differential story problems is to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. This can make the problem easier to understand and solve. Additionally, practicing with various types of differential story problems can help build the necessary skills and intuition for solving them.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving differential story problems?

One common mistake to avoid is incorrectly setting up the differential equation for the problem. It is important to carefully read and understand the scenario to ensure that the rate of change is represented accurately in the equation. Another common mistake is solving the equation incorrectly, so it is important to double-check all calculations and use proper mathematical techniques.