How Does Doping Affect the Resistance of a Silicon Beam?

In summary, to calculate the resistance of a doped silicon beam, we can use the equation R = length / (q*A*electron density*electron mobility), and we will need to determine the electron density and electron mobility for the specific p-type doping level.
dvgrizz1

Homework Statement

Given a silicon beam of diameter 10nm and length 100nm, what would its resistance be if it were doped with a p-type of 10^16/cm^3?

Homework Equations

R= resistivity*length/area
R= length/(qA*electron density* electron mobility)
resistivity of silicon= 0.1 ohm*meters

The Attempt at a Solution

I have enough variables to solve the first equation, but that doesn't take into account the doping at all. However, I'm not sure what to do with electron mobility if I'm supposed to use the second equation. Perhaps there's an equation I'm missing?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. The resistance of a doped silicon beam can be calculated using the equation R = resistivity * length / area, as you mentioned. However, since the beam is doped with a p-type of 10^16/cm^3, the resistivity will be affected.

To account for this, we can use the equation R = length / (q*A*electron density*electron mobility), where q is the charge of an electron, A is the cross-sectional area of the beam, and electron mobility is a measure of how easily electrons can move through the material.

To solve for the resistance, we will need to know the electron density and electron mobility for the given p-type doping level. This information can be found in a table or graph specific to the type and level of doping in silicon.

Once we have these values, we can plug them into the equation and solve for the resistance of the doped silicon beam. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to How Does Doping Affect the Resistance of a Silicon Beam?

1. What is the resistance of a silicon beam?

The resistance of a silicon beam refers to the measure of how much the beam resists the flow of electric current. It is typically measured in units of ohms, represented by the symbol Ω.

2. How is the resistance of a silicon beam calculated?

The resistance of a silicon beam can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance is equal to the voltage applied divided by the current flowing through the beam. It can also be calculated using the formula R = ρL/A, where ρ is the electrical resistivity of silicon, L is the length of the beam, and A is the cross-sectional area of the beam.

3. What factors affect the resistance of a silicon beam?

The resistance of a silicon beam is affected by several factors, including the length and cross-sectional area of the beam, the material properties of silicon, and the temperature of the beam. Additionally, any impurities or defects in the beam can also affect its resistance.

4. How does temperature affect the resistance of a silicon beam?

The resistance of a silicon beam increases with an increase in temperature. This is because at higher temperatures, the atoms in the silicon beam vibrate more and impede the flow of electrons, resulting in a higher resistance.

5. What is the significance of the resistance of a silicon beam in practical applications?

The resistance of a silicon beam is an important factor to consider in various practical applications, such as in electronic devices, sensors, and microelectromechanical systems (MEMS). It helps to determine the power consumption and efficiency of these devices and plays a crucial role in their design and performance.