How Does Doubling Frequency Affect R-L-C Series Circuit Components?

In summary, when the frequency of a source is doubled in a R-L-C series circuit, the values of the inductive and capacitive reactances will also double. However, the resistance of the resistor will remain the same as it is not dependent on frequency. This can be observed by using the formulae XL = 2pi fL and XC = 1/2pi fC. The value of R does not contain any frequency variable.
meryom
If the frequency of a source is doubled in a R-L-C series circuit,what will happen to the resistance ,the inductive reactance and the capacitive.

Homework Equations

f=1/2pi√LC
XL=2.pi.f.L
XC=1/2.pi.f.C
R=Vrms/Irms
i coludn't know which formula to use am confused please help ...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The RLC circuit is being driven by a source with frequency f. What are the values of the reactances for the inductor and capacitor? Does the resistor's impedance depend upon frequency?

Oh, and welcome to Physics Forums!

thanks :) ...sorry nothing else is given ...and i think it depend since z=√(xl-xc)^2+R^2
and xl=2.pi.(f).L and the same for xc=1/20pi.(f)c

You have enough information to answer the question. You've already written the required formulae several times!

If I were to ask you to write the formulas for the reactances of an inductor and a capacitor and the resistance of a resistor given that the frequency is f, what would you write?

XL(f) = ?
XC(f) = ?
R(f) = ?

i would write the above formulae ...so should i solve for frequency(by doubling it ) using the above formulae ?...what about for R ?

meryom said:
i would write the above formulae ...so should i solve for frequency(by doubling it ) using the above formulae ?...what about for R ?

The question asks you to state what happens to the reactances when the frequency is doubled. In order to do that, you must observe how the reactance values depend upon the frequency variable in the formulas.

Also, does R depend upon frequency? Is there any "f" value in the expression for resistance?

Also, does R depend upon frequency? Is there any "f" value in the expression for resistance?[/QUOTE]

i don't think so ..??

meryom said:
Also, does R depend upon frequency? Is there any "f" value in the expression for resistance?

i don't think so ..??[/QUOTE]

Right, an ideal resistor's value is independent of frequency. Now you know! :smile:

ok !really thank you , i get it now ... ;)

Last edited:

Related to How Does Doubling Frequency Affect R-L-C Series Circuit Components?

1. What is an alternating current circuit?

An alternating current (AC) circuit is a type of electrical circuit in which the current periodically reverses direction. This is in contrast to a direct current (DC) circuit, where the current always flows in the same direction.

2. How does an alternating current circuit work?

In an alternating current circuit, the current is generated by an AC power source, such as a generator. The current flows through the circuit in a back-and-forth motion, changing direction at a specific frequency. This frequency is measured in hertz (Hz) and determines the rate at which the current changes direction.

3. What are the components of an alternating current circuit?

An AC circuit typically consists of a power source, such as a generator or battery, and various components such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors. These components control the flow of current and can be arranged in different configurations to perform specific functions, such as powering electronic devices or controlling the speed of motors.

4. What are the advantages of using an alternating current circuit?

One of the main advantages of using an AC circuit is that it allows for easy voltage transformation through the use of transformers. This makes it possible to transmit electricity over long distances without significant loss of power. Additionally, AC circuits are more efficient and cost-effective for powering large-scale electrical systems, such as power grids.

5. What are some common applications of alternating current circuits?

AC circuits are used in a wide range of applications, including household electricity, industrial machinery, and electronic devices. They are also essential for powering electric motors, which are used in everything from refrigerators and washing machines to industrial equipment and transportation vehicles.