How Does Efficiency Loss Affect Voltage and Current in a Transformer?

In summary, the given problem involves a step-down transformer with an input voltage of 240 V and an output voltage of 12 V. It is 95% efficient and has an input current of 20 A. To maintain a 12 V output, a primary to secondary turns ratio of 19:1 is necessary. The output current can be determined by using the power equation and the efficiency factor, resulting in a secondary current of 380 A. The distribution of energy loss in the transformer may vary depending on its construction and the type of losses occurring. However, this information is not necessary to calculate the secondary current, which can be determined using the given efficiency factor and the relationship between primary and secondary voltage.
michaelplease

Homework Statement

A step-down transformer going from 240 V to 12 V is 95% efficient. The input current is 20 A.
a) Determine the primary turns: secondary turns ratio necessary in order to maintain a 12V output.
b) Determine the output current.

I have solved it as if I needed an secondary output of 12 * (100/95) = 12.6 V. But what I am wondering about is whether the 5% loss of power causes a 5% loss in secondary voltage, or a 5% loss in secondary current, or a loss in both that multiplies up to 5%, and why. Could someone please explain?

Homework Equations

P = IV
Np/Ns = Vp/Vs

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Vs = 12V * (100/95) = 12.6V
Np/Ns = Vp/Vs
= 240 / 12.6
= 19 : 1
b) Pp = IpVp
= 240(20)
= 4800W
Ps = Pp (0.95)
= 4560 W
Ps = IsVs
4560 = (12)(I)
I = 380 A

Physics news on Phys.org
It would depend on how the transformer is built and how the losses occur. If the loss of energy is due to resistance of the windings, ie. I^2R losses, most of the losses will likely be in the secondary, where the current is going to be roughly 20 times higher than in the primary and the resistance 1/20 of that of the primary (1/20th no. of turns). If it is due to hysteresis losses or eddy currents in the core, I expect the loss would be distributed more or less equally over the primary and secondary.

You don't need to know this to calculate the secondary current. You just need to know the overall efficiency at a particular primary current and voltage.

You know the power in the secondary is .95 of the power in the primary. So if the voltage in the secondary is 12 V.:

[itex]E_sI_s = .95(E_pI_p)[/itex] from which you can work out the secondary current.

The emf generated in the secondary is determined by the primary voltage and the ratio of the number of turns of primary/secondary. Since you are not told what the source of the energy loss is, I think you have to stick to the 20:1 ratio of turns to produce 12 V. output.

AM

Related to How Does Efficiency Loss Affect Voltage and Current in a Transformer?

What is a 95% Efficiency Transformer?

A 95% efficiency transformer is a type of electrical transformer that is designed to convert electrical energy from one circuit to another with a high level of efficiency. This means that 95% of the input energy is successfully transferred to the output circuit, with only 5% being lost as heat or other forms of energy.

How does a 95% Efficiency Transformer work?

A 95% efficiency transformer works by utilizing the principles of electromagnetic induction. When an alternating current (AC) is passed through the primary coil of the transformer, it creates a magnetic field which induces a current in the secondary coil. This current is then used to power the output circuit.

What are the benefits of using a 95% Efficiency Transformer?

Using a 95% efficiency transformer can result in significant cost savings and energy efficiency. As less energy is lost during the conversion process, it can help reduce electricity bills and minimize the environmental impact of energy production. It can also improve the overall performance and lifespan of electrical equipment.

Are there any limitations to using a 95% Efficiency Transformer?

While a 95% efficiency transformer is highly efficient, it is not 100% efficient. Some energy will still be lost during the conversion process, and this can vary depending on factors such as the quality of the transformer and the load it is powering. It is important to select the right size and type of transformer for your specific needs.

How can I determine the efficiency of a transformer?

The efficiency of a transformer can be calculated by dividing the output power by the input power and multiplying by 100. For example, if a transformer has an output power of 950 watts and an input power of 1000 watts, the efficiency would be (950/1000) x 100 = 95%. Alternatively, you can look for the efficiency rating provided by the manufacturer.