How Does Electron Drift Speed Affect Current Flow in Copper Wires?

In summary: It is \pi r^2. Therefore, the correct equation to use for current density is J = I/(\pi r^2). This results in a current density of 159 Am^-2, which is consistent with the given answer. Additionally, for the drift velocity, the correct equation to use is Vd = I/ (nqA), which results in a velocity of 1.17x10^-8 ms^-1, also consistent with the given answer. This discrepancy may have occurred because the formula for current density was incorrectly used. In summary, the correct equations and calculations for the given problem yield a current density of 159 Am^-2 and a drift velocity of 1.17x10^-8 ms^-
carus88
A copper wire is carrying a current of 1 mA. How many electrons pass a point in the wire in one minute? If the radius of the wire is 1 mm, calculate the magnitude of the current density. Given that the number of conduction electrons in copper is 8.47 × 10^28 m-3, what is the drift speed of the electrons? A five metre length of this wire is used to connect the positive terminal of a battery to a light bulb via a switch, and a further 5 m length is used to link the other side of the bulb to the negative terminal of the battery. When the switch is closed, how long does it take on average for an electron to travel from the battery to the bulb? Why does the light come on much more quickly than this time would suggest?

1. Q=It
2. Vd= I/nqA
3. J = nqVd
4. so J equates to = I/A

For the first part i used equation 1. and then divided the answer by the charge on an electron. this gave me 3.75 x 10^17 electrons which i believe is right

The 2nd part asks for the drift velocity so i used 2.

and got 1x10^-3 / 8.47x10^28 x 1.602x10^-19 x (2x(Pi)x0.001^2)
This equalled 1.17x10^-8 ms-1

According to the answers this is in correct and should be 2.36x10^-8 ms-1

And using 4. i worked out J = 1x10-3/(2x(Pi)x0.001^2) = 159Am-2

Where as again the answers differ and it says J is 318Am-2

CAN ANYONE SHOW ME WHERE I AM GOING WRONG?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.

Physics news on Phys.org
carus88 said:
and got 1x10^-3 / 8.47x10^28 x 1.602x10^-19 x (2x(Pi)x0.001^2)
This equalled 1.17x10^-8 ms-1

The area of a a circle is not [itex]2\pi r^2[/itex].

I can provide some clarification on your calculations. First, for the number of electrons passing a point in one minute, your calculation is correct. The current of 1 mA means that 1x10^-3 Coulombs of charge passes through a point in the wire in one second. In one minute, that would be 60 seconds, so the total charge passing through that point in one minute would be 1x10^-3 x 60 = 6x10^-2 Coulombs. Dividing this by the charge on an electron (1.602x10^-19 Coulombs) gives you the number of electrons, which is 3.75x10^17.

For the second part, your calculation for drift velocity is incorrect. The equation Vd=I/nqA is used to calculate the average drift velocity of an electron in a specific direction. In this case, we are given the current and the number of electrons per unit volume, so we can use the equation J=nqVd to calculate the current density. Rearranging this equation to solve for Vd, we get Vd=J/nq. Plugging in the values, we get Vd=1x10^-3 A / (8.47x10^28 m^-3 x 1.602x10^-19 C x (2x(Pi)x0.001^2 m^2)) which equals 1.17x10^-8 ms^-1. This is the correct value for drift velocity.

For the third part, your calculation for current density is also incorrect. The formula J=I/A is used to calculate the current density for a given current and cross-sectional area. In this case, we are given the current and the radius of the wire, so we can use the formula J=I/(2x(Pi)xr^2) to calculate the current density. Plugging in the values, we get J=1x10^-3 A / (2x(Pi)x(0.001 m)^2) which equals 318 Am^-2. This is the correct value for current density.

As for the final question about the time it takes for an electron to travel from the battery to the bulb, this would depend on the specific conditions of the circuit and cannot be accurately calculated without more information. However, the light may come on more quickly due to the flow of electric current and the speed of

Related to How Does Electron Drift Speed Affect Current Flow in Copper Wires?

1. What is current density and how is it measured?

Current density is the measure of the amount of electric current flowing through a unit area. It is often denoted by the symbol J and is measured in amperes per square meter (A/m²). Current density can be calculated by dividing the current (I) by the cross-sectional area (A) of the conductor.

2. How does current density relate to the strength of an electric field?

Current density is directly proportional to the strength of the electric field. This means that an increase in the electric field strength will result in an increase in current density, and vice versa. This relationship is described by Ohm's law, which states that current density (J) is equal to the electric field (E) divided by the conductivity (σ) of the material.

3. What factors affect the current density in a conductor?

The current density in a conductor is affected by several factors, including the material's conductivity, the cross-sectional area of the conductor, the length of the conductor, and the strength of the electric field. In addition, the temperature and impurities in the conductor can also impact the current density.

4. How does current density differ from current?

Current density and current are related but different concepts. Current density is a measure of the amount of current flowing through a unit area, while current is a measure of the overall flow of electric charge in a circuit. Current density takes into account the size and shape of a conductor, while current does not.

5. What are some practical applications of current density?

Current density is an important concept in various fields, including electrical engineering, physics, and materials science. It is used to determine the conductivity of materials, design and analyze electrical circuits, and understand the behavior of electric currents in different situations. In addition, current density is also used in the manufacturing of electronic devices and materials, such as semiconductors and conductive coatings.