How Does Entropy Change in a Reversible Cooling Process?

• Thread starter Liquidxlax
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Entropy
In summary, a cylinder contains 1000mol of He gas at an initial temperature of 2000K and initial pressure of 1MPa. The gas is cooled to a final temperature of 500K in a reversible process where the volume and pressure vary according to PV3=constant. The initial volume VA of the gas is calculated and the first law of thermodynamics is used to show that the change in heat (dQin) is equal to (3/2)nRdT + (PAVA3dV)/V3. The pressure is then eliminated from the equations PV=nRT and PV3=PAVA3. The change in entropy ΔS=SB-SA is calculated using dS/dQinrev/T
Liquidxlax

Homework Statement

A cylinder contains 1000mol o He gas at an initial temp o 2000k and initial pressure of 1MPa. The He gas is now cooled to a final temp o 500k in a reversible process in which the volume and pressure are constrained to vary as PV3 = constant. Assume that the He is a monatomic ideal gas. Denote the initial and final states of the gas by A and B, respectively.

a) Find the initial volume VA of the gas

b) use the 1st law o thermodynamics to show that

dQin = (3/2)nRdT + (PAVA3dV)/V3

c) eleminate P from the two process equations PV = nRT and PV3 = PAVA3

and hence that

blah blah blah

d) Use dS/dQinrev/T to find the entropy change ΔS = SB - SA

Homework Equations

all given in the question

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved a) b) c) with no trouble, but I'm just uncertain about d)

doing the integral i found that the change in entropy ΔS = -1.152x104 and i was wondering i this is reasonable, because i thought entropy is supposed to be ≥0.

I thought to myself that the ΔSuniverse = 0 such that ΔS + ΔSsurrounding = 0

would this be a good assumption?

Physics news on Phys.org
Liquidxlax said:
I thought to myself that the ΔSuniverse = 0 such that ΔS + ΔSsurrounding = 0

would this be a good assumption?

Yes; that's what "reversible" implies.

Mapes said:
Yes; that's what "reversible" implies.

derp :facepalm: thanks for the help

Related to How Does Entropy Change in a Reversible Cooling Process?

What is entropy?

Entropy is a scientific concept that describes the amount of disorder or randomness in a system. It is a measure of the number of possible ways that energy can be distributed within a system.

How is entropy related to thermaldynamics?

Entropy is a fundamental concept in thermaldynamics, which is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, work, temperature, and energy. Entropy is closely related to the second law of thermaldynamics, which states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time.

How is entropy calculated?

The formula for calculating entropy is ΔS = Q/T, where ΔS is the change in entropy, Q is the heat transferred, and T is the temperature in Kelvin. This formula is derived from the second law of thermaldynamics.

What is the difference between entropy and enthalpy?

Enthalpy is another thermaldynamic property that is related to energy and heat. While entropy is a measure of disorder, enthalpy is a measure of the total energy of a system. In other words, entropy describes the distribution of energy while enthalpy describes the total amount of energy.

How does entropy affect physical and chemical processes?

Entropy plays a crucial role in physical and chemical processes. In general, processes that increase the entropy of a system are favored, while processes that decrease the entropy are not. For example, ice melting into water is a process that increases entropy, while water freezing into ice is a process that decreases entropy.