How Does Entropy Explain Heat Transfer Between Two Einstein Solids?

In summary, when two identical Einstein solids, one hot and one cold, are placed in good contact within an insulated box, heat will spontaneously transfer from the hotter block to the colder block. This can be proven using the concept of entropy, specifically the equation deltaS(total)=deltaS(A)+deltaS(B), where A is the hot solid and B is the cold solid. The second law of thermodynamics is also important to consider in this explanation. By taking into account the change in temperature and energy (deltaQ), it can be seen that the total change in entropy will be negative, indicating that heat will flow from the higher entropy object (the hotter block) to the lower entropy object (the colder block). It is important to note
heyjude619

Homework Statement

Consider two identical Einstein solids. One solid has been placed in boiling water and the other in ice water. Then the two solids are placed in good contact with each other within an insulated box. Using the concept of entropy, prove that heat will spontaneously transfer from the hotter block to the colder block. Explanations that use concepts other than entropy will receive zero credit. Make sure the logic of your explanation is clear. Equations (and perhaps graphs) should make up the bulk of your answer. Use only a minimum number of words.

Homework Equations

deltaS(total)=deltaS(A)+deltaS(B), where A is the hot solid and B is the cold solid
deltaS=deltaQ/T, where Q is energy due to heat transfer, and T is temperature

The Attempt at a Solution

deltaS(total)=deltaS(A)+deltaS(B)=deltaQ(A)/T(A) + deltaQ(B)/T(B)
deltaQ(A)=-deltaQ(B)
T(A) much greater than T(B)
-so deltaS(total) will be negative, which implies that the heat should transfer from the higher entropy object to the lower entropy object
-this is what I have so far, but I turned it in and got zero credit... any suggestions? I'm wondering if I need to use the second law of thermodynamics somewhere...

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
How does the total change in entropy imply what is happening with the individual bodies, let alone how is it negative? And I do suggest the second law of thermodynamics, especially since you broke it.

Also, you might not want to use delta, since the temperature isn't constant through out the whole process. So it is best to use differentials, such as dS and dQ.

Awesome, thanks!

Yeah, I realized yesterday that the deltaS(total) couldn't be negative, since entropy can't be destroyed, so that was a slip on my part. Thanks for pointing it out!

Related to How Does Entropy Explain Heat Transfer Between Two Einstein Solids?

1. What is heat transfer?

Heat transfer is the process of exchanging thermal energy between two systems. This can occur through three mechanisms: conduction, convection, and radiation.

2. What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. It is often described as the amount of energy that is unavailable for work in a thermodynamic process.

3. How is heat transfer related to entropy?

Heat transfer can increase the entropy of a system by increasing the disorder of its molecules. This is because heat transfer often leads to an increase in the number of possible microstates of a system, resulting in a higher entropy.

4. What is the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system (one that does not exchange matter or energy with its surroundings) will always increase over time. This is often referred to as the law of increasing entropy.

5. How does heat transfer impact the environment?

Heat transfer can have a significant impact on the environment, particularly in terms of climate change. The transfer of heat from human activities, such as burning fossil fuels, contributes to the greenhouse effect and can lead to global warming and other environmental issues.