How Does Exponentiation with Complex Variables Influence Vector Orientation?

• Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary, The speakers discuss a complex vector and its raised powers, with one speaker proposing a newly discovered equation for calculating z raised to the M+1 power using the value M = 360/ArcTan(b/a). They also mention the concept of parallel vectors and the use of De Moivre's formula. The other speaker questions the validity of the equation and shares an example to illustrate a possible flaw.
Miike012
I've been reading a book on complex variables and I came up with an equation which may or may not be useful but I thought it was interesting

Explanation
Given a complex vector z = a + bi I can calculate z raised to the M + 1 power where M = 360/ArcTan(b/a)

Side Note
Sorry I didn't give any reason to the alterations to the equations below but basically the logic behind the reason is that say z = |z|(cos(θ) + isin(θ)) then I know that zn = |z|n(cos(nθ) + isin(nθ)) and because I know trig functions repeat I know that the product will eventually rotate 360 degrees measured from vector z.

For example given z = |z|(cos(θ) + isin(θ)) and say zm = |z|m(cos(θ+ 2∏) + isin(θ+2∏)
therefore z and zm are parallel and differ by some scalar

Equation
zM+1 = [|z|M+1/|Z|M+1]zM+1 = [|z|M+1/|z|]z =[|z|M]z

zM+1 =[|z|M]z
It seems to only work when it has rotated around once but I can change that

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For Example

(101+17i)360/ArcTan(17/101) + 1 = (101 + 17i)*√(101^2+17^2)360/ArcTan(17/101)

Notice that the left side is raised to a power greater than 1 while the right side is raised to the first power then multiplied by some constant

I wasn't implying you came up with it yourself, I was just suggesting something along the lines of what I thought you were doing. Is your exponentiation defined only for that specific value with ArcTan? And is that ArcTan a value in [0,2pi) ( since ArcTan is multiple-valued)?

I don't know if I understood correctly, but z and z^n are not always parallel; just take

z=x+ix ; then z^2=i2x , which is not parallel to x+ix.

Last edited:
Bacle2 said:
I wasn't implying you came up with it yourself, I was just suggesting something along the lines of what I thought you were doing. Is your exponentiation defined only for that specific value with ArcTan? And is that ArcTan a value in [0,2pi) ( since ArcTan is multiple-valued)?

I don't know if I understood correctly, but z and z^n are not always parallel; just take

z=x+ix ; then z^2=i2x , which is not parallel to x+ix.
if zn = zM+1 where M = 360/45 then zn is parallel to z where z = (x + ix)

Related to How Does Exponentiation with Complex Variables Influence Vector Orientation?

1. What is a complex variable equation?

A complex variable equation is an equation that involves complex numbers, which are numbers that contain both a real and imaginary component. These equations are used to model a variety of phenomena in mathematics and physics.

2. How do you solve a complex variable equation?

Solving a complex variable equation involves using algebraic manipulation and the properties of complex numbers to find the values of the variables that satisfy the equation. This can include techniques such as substitution, factoring, and the quadratic formula.

3. What are the applications of complex variable equations?

Complex variable equations have many applications in mathematics and physics, such as in the study of electrical circuits, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in engineering and technology for modeling and solving problems.

4. Can complex variable equations have multiple solutions?

Yes, complex variable equations can have multiple solutions. This is because the complex numbers have two parts, the real and imaginary components, which can result in more than one solution to an equation. These solutions can be represented graphically on a complex plane.

5. How are complex variable equations related to real variable equations?

Complex variable equations are an extension of real variable equations, as they include the additional imaginary component. However, many techniques and principles from solving real variable equations can also be applied to solving complex variable equations.