How Does Field Characteristic Affect Linear Independence?

In summary: Assume that T is dependent in 4, or T union {v} is dependent in 5, and show that this leads to a contradiction (i.e. that S is not independent in 4, or v is in span(S) in 5).
kathrynag
I'm trying to finish these linear independence proofs:
3. Let S = {v1, v2, v3} be a linearly independent subset of V and let
T = {v1 + v2, v2 + v3, v1 + v3}.
(a) Show that if char F is not 2, then T is linearly independent.
(b) Show that if char F = 2, then T is not linearly independent.
4. Show that if a subset S of V is linearly independent, then any nonempty subset T of S
is also linearly independent.
5. Show that if a subset S of V is linearly independent and v ∈ V is not in sp(S), then
S ∪ {v} is linearly independent

3. linear independent so a1v1+a2v2+a3v3=0 implies a1=a2=a3=0
The characteristic is confusing me
Like I want to say we have something like 1+1+...+1=0

4.linear independent so a1v1+a2v2+a3v3=0 implies a1=a2=a3=0
I know we want a1(v1+v2)+a2(v2+v3)+a3(v1+v3)=0 to imply a1=a2=a3=0
we have a1v1+a1v2+a2v2+a2v3+a3v1+a3v3=0
(a1v1+a2v2+a3v3)+a1v2+a2v3+a3v1=0
a1v2+a2v3+a3v1=0
5.linear independent so a1v1+a2v2+a3v3=0 implies a1=a2=a3=0
v is not in sp(s), so not a linear combination
so v is not in a1v1+a2v2+a3v3

Any hints would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
kathrynag said:
I'm trying to finish these linear independence proofs:
3. Let S = {v1, v2, v3} be a linearly independent subset of V and let
T = {v1 + v2, v2 + v3, v1 + v3}.
(a) Show that if char F is not 2, then T is linearly independent.
(b) Show that if char F = 2, then T is not linearly independent.
4. Show that if a subset S of V is linearly independent, then any nonempty subset T of S
is also linearly independent.
5. Show that if a subset S of V is linearly independent and v ∈ V is not in sp(S), then
S ∪ {v} is linearly independent

3. linear independent so a1v1+a2v2+a3v3=0 implies a1=a2=a3=0
The characteristic is confusing me
Like I want to say we have something like 1+1+...+1=0
I don't know what F is or what char F is.

I think you might be missing an important point about linear independence. Namely, that if v1, v2, and v3 are linearly dependent, then the equation a1*v1 + a2*v2 + a3*v3 = 0 also has a solution for the scalars of a1 = a2 = a3 = 0. The fine point that many students miss is that if the vectors are linearly independent, then there is only one solution to the equation a1*v1 + a2*v2 + a3*v3 = 0. For linearly dependent vectors, there are also other solutions.

Since I don't know what F or char F are supposed to mean, I would show that the equation c1(v1 + v2) + c2(v2 + v3) + c3(v1 + v3) = 0 has exactly one solution for the three constants, given that v1, v2, and v3 are linearly independent.
kathrynag said:
4.linear independent so a1v1+a2v2+a3v3=0 implies a1=a2=a3=0
I know we want a1(v1+v2)+a2(v2+v3)+a3(v1+v3)=0 to imply a1=a2=a3=0
we have a1v1+a1v2+a2v2+a2v3+a3v1+a3v3=0
(a1v1+a2v2+a3v3)+a1v2+a2v3+a3v1=0
a1v2+a2v3+a3v1=0
5.linear independent so a1v1+a2v2+a3v3=0 implies a1=a2=a3=0
v is not in sp(s), so not a linear combination
so v is not in a1v1+a2v2+a3v3

Any hints would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
The characteristic of a field is the smallest positive number n where the sum of n 1's is equal to 0.

Let a(v1+v2)+b(v2+v3)+c(v1+v3)=0. Then (a+c)v1+(a+b)v2+(b+c)v3=0. Since v1, v2, and v3 are linearly independent, you must have

a+c = 0
a+b = 0
b+c = 0

Now try to solve those equations, taking into account char F.Based on your work, I think you've completely misunderstood problem 4. Can you elaborate on what you wrote? For both problems 4 and 5, a proof by contradiction is probably the way to go.

Last edited:

Related to How Does Field Characteristic Affect Linear Independence?

What is a linear independence proof?

A linear independence proof is a mathematical method used to show that a set of vectors is linearly independent. This means that none of the vectors in the set can be expressed as a linear combination of the other vectors in the set.

Why is it important to prove linear independence?

Proving linear independence is important in many areas of mathematics and science, including linear algebra, differential equations, and physics. It allows us to determine if a set of vectors is a basis for a vector space, which is essential for solving many problems.

What is the process for proving linear independence?

The process for proving linear independence involves setting up a linear combination of the vectors in the set and showing that the only possible solution is when all the coefficients are equal to zero. This is typically done by setting up a system of equations and using techniques such as row reduction to show that the only solution is the trivial one.

What are some common mistakes when attempting to prove linear independence?

One common mistake is assuming that a set of vectors is linearly independent without actually proving it. Another mistake is assuming that a set of vectors is linearly independent because it has the same number of vectors as the dimension of the vector space. It is important to follow the proper process and show all steps in the proof to avoid these mistakes.

What are some real-world applications of linear independence proof?

Linear independence proof has many applications in fields such as engineering, computer science, and economics. For example, in engineering, it can be used to determine if a system of forces acting on a structure is in equilibrium. In economics, it can be used to determine if a set of goods or resources is sufficient to meet the needs of a population. In computer science, it can be used to determine if a set of algorithms is sufficient to solve a specific problem.