How does field weakening affect torque output of a DC motor?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of torque output for a DC motor and the relationship between current, field, and torque. The problem mentioned is that the calculated torque only matches the commanded torque below the motor's base speed and there is a question about the validity of the equation used. The conversation ends with a suggestion to also consider the load and the relationship between power and speed.
KLoux
Hello,

I have a question regarding calculating the torque output of a DC motor. I can record current and field from a motor drive. I can also record commanded torque. I have time histories for a series of motor commands, and I'm comparing the torque command to a torque that I calculate based on the field and the current. All of my units are % of rated, so I'm using the following relationship to calculate the torque output:

Torque = Current * Field

So below base speed, the torque is proportional to current, but above base speed, we take into account the reduction in the field.

My problem is that my calculated torque only matches my commanded torque curve below the motor's base speed. Is there something else going on dynamically that invalidates this equation? Curiously, the curves match very well if I divide the field reduction by two:

Torque = Current * (100% - (100% - Field) / 2)

Is this purely chance? Should I check my data again? Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks for your help!

-Kerry

Engineering news on Phys.org
You don't mention the load. Power=torque*speed is another relation. So we need to know how power varies with speed also.

Related to How does field weakening affect torque output of a DC motor?

1. What is field weakening of a DC motor?

Field weakening of a DC motor is the process of deliberately reducing the strength of the magnetic field in the motor's stator in order to increase the motor's speed beyond its rated speed. This is done by changing the current in the motor's field winding, which controls the strength of the magnetic field.

2. Why is field weakening necessary for a DC motor?

Field weakening is necessary for a DC motor because at high speeds, the back EMF (electromotive force) generated by the motor can become too high and cause the motor to draw excessive amounts of current. This can lead to overheating and damage to the motor. Field weakening allows the motor to maintain a safe operating speed without drawing excessive current.

3. How is field weakening achieved in a DC motor?

Field weakening is achieved by reducing the current in the motor's field winding. This can be done by using a variable resistor or by using a more advanced method such as pulse width modulation (PWM) control. In PWM control, the current in the field winding is rapidly switched on and off, effectively reducing its average value and weakening the magnetic field.

4. What are the benefits of field weakening in a DC motor?

Field weakening allows a DC motor to operate at higher speeds, which can be beneficial in certain applications such as electric vehicles or industrial machinery. It also helps to improve the efficiency of the motor, as it reduces the amount of energy wasted as heat at high speeds. Additionally, field weakening can help to reduce the size and weight of a motor, making it more compact and cost-effective.

5. Are there any drawbacks to field weakening in a DC motor?

One potential drawback of field weakening is that it can reduce the torque output of the motor, which may be a concern in applications where high torque is required. Additionally, field weakening can increase the complexity and cost of the motor control system. It is important for engineers to carefully consider the trade-offs and design a motor system that balances speed, torque, and efficiency requirements.