How Does Filling a Canister with Oxygen Affect Its Weight?

In summary, the conversation is about an empty cylindrical canister that needs to be filled with pure oxygen at 27.0 C and an absolute pressure of 21.3atm for storage in a space station. The canister has a length of 1.60m and a diameter of 89.0cm. To determine how many moles of oxygen the canister can hold, the volume of the cylinder is calculated and converted to liters. This value is then used with the ideal gas law to find the number of moles, which is approximately 3445 moles.
Luongo
An empty cylindrical canister 1.60m long and 89.0cm in diameter is to be filled with pure oxygen at 27.0 C to store in a space station. To hold as much gas as possible, the absolute pressure of the oxygen will be 21.3atm . The molar mass of oxygen is 32.0g/mol. How many moles of oxygen does this canister hold? For someone lifting this canister, by how many kilograms does this gas increase the mass to be lifted?

So what i did was got the volume of cylinder using V = pi r^2 h
im (m^3) i multiplied by 1000 to get it in litres. 3981L
then i just plugged in n= 3981L (21.3atm) / .08206 (300K)
what am i doing wrong? shudnt i get the moles in the canister 3445 moles.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Luongo said:
So what i did was got the volume of cylinder using V = pi r^2 h
im (m^3) i multiplied by 1000 to get it in litres. 3981L
then i just plugged in n= 3981L (21.3atm) / .08206 (300K)
what am i doing wrong? shudnt i get the moles in the canister 3445 moles.
Your answer looks good to me, but if you are graded on significant figures you'll want to consider that.

Your approach is correct. However, when converting the volume to liters, you forgot to account for the conversion from cubic meters to liters. The correct volume should be 3.981 m^3, which when converted to liters becomes 3,981,000 L. Also, the temperature should be in Kelvin, so it should be 300K instead of 27°C.

Using the ideal gas law, we can calculate the number of moles of oxygen in the canister:

n = PV/RT = (21.3 atm) (3.981 m^3) / (0.08206 L atm/mol K) (300K) = 3445 moles

To calculate the increase in mass, we can use the molar mass of oxygen to convert moles to grams, and then kilograms:

m = nM = (3445 mol) (32.0 g/mol) = 110240 g = 110.24 kg

Therefore, the gas will increase the mass to be lifted by 110.24 kg.

FAQ: How Does Filling a Canister with Oxygen Affect Its Weight?

1. What is the definition of gas in physics?

In physics, gas is a state of matter that is characterized by particles that are not confined to a fixed position and are free to move around in a container. These particles have more kinetic energy compared to solids and liquids, and they are able to fill the entire space of the container they are in.

2. How does increasing the temperature affect the volume of a gas?

According to Charles' Law, the volume of a gas increases as the temperature increases, as long as the pressure remains constant. This is because the increase in temperature causes the gas particles to move faster, thus increasing the space they take up.

3. What is the ideal gas law and how is it used to calculate gas properties?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It is written as PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature. This law is used to calculate gas properties such as volume, pressure, and temperature under different conditions.

4. How does increasing the pressure affect the volume of a gas?

According to Boyle's Law, the volume of a gas decreases as the pressure increases, as long as the temperature remains constant. This is because an increase in pressure causes the gas particles to move closer together, thus taking up less space.

5. What are some real-life applications of the gas laws?

The gas laws have many real-life applications, such as in gas-filled balloons, scuba diving, and the operation of refrigerators and air conditioners. They are also used in industries such as chemical engineering and meteorology to understand and predict the behavior of gases in various processes and systems.

Back