How Does Force Angle Affect Book Acceleration with Friction?

In summary, the book experiences an acceleration of 5.2 m/s due to the force of 4 N acting on it at an angle of 15 degrees above the surface of the table.
hri12

Homework Statement

A book of mass M = .55 kg rests on a table where the coefficient of static friction us = .45. A force, F = 4 N acts on the book at an angle of 15 degrees above the surface of the table. What is the acceleration of the book if the coefficient of kinetic friction uk = .23?

Homework Equations

ΣFx = ma
ΣFy = ma

Ff = Fn(uk)

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew free body diagrams.

ΣFx = Fx - Ff
Fx - Ff = ma(x)
Fx - Fn(uk) = ma(x)

ΣFy = ma
Fn - Fy - mg = ma(y)

I'm not sure where to go from here. I know that I need to use Pythagoras theorem when I have the values of a(x) and a(y) but I don't know how to get that far.

Please help, I've been working on this for 2+ hours.

Physics news on Phys.org
hri12 said:

Homework Statement

A book of mass M = .55 kg rests on a table where the coefficient of static friction us = .45. A force, F = 4 N acts on the book at an angle of 15 degrees above the surface of the table. What is the acceleration of the book if the coefficient of kinetic friction uk = .23?

Homework Equations

ΣFx = ma
ΣFy = ma

Ff = Fn(uk)

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew free body diagrams.

ΣFx = Fx - Ff
Fx - Ff = ma(x)
Fx - Fn(uk) = ma(x)

ΣFy = ma
Fn - Fy - mg = ma(y)

I'm not sure where to go from here. I know that I need to use Pythagoras theorem when I have the values of a(x) and a(y) but I don't know how to get that far.

Please help, I've been working on this for 2+ hours.
What do you suppose the value of ay is ?

I know it's not zero because:
1. I already tried with zero and got the wrong answer.
2. It's being pulled diagonally upwards, so both a(x) and a(y) should have a nonzero value.

Edit: the answer should be 5.20 m/s^2

Never mind. Got it. Thanks everyone!

SOLUTION
ΣFx = Fx - Ff
Fx - Ff = ma(x)
Fx - Fn(uk) = ma(x)

ΣFy = ma
Fn + Fy - mg = ma(y)

a(y) = 0 (not sure why...)
Fn + Fy - mg = 0
Fn = mg - Fy

Fx - (mg - Fy)(uk) = ma(x)
a(x) = (Fx - (mg - Fy)(uk) )/m
a(x) = 5.2

((5.2)^2 + (0)^2)^(1/2) = 5.2

hri12 said:
Never mind. Got it. Thanks everyone!
Excellent !
SOLUTION
ΣFx = Fx - Ff
Fx - Ff = ma(x)
Fx - Fn(uk) = ma(x)

ΣFy = ma
Fn + Fy - mg = ma(y)

a(y) = 0 (not sure why...)
Then this is worth looking at further.

ay can possibly be positive, but it can't be negative. Right ?

If ay > 0, then the normal force will be zero. Right? Then Fy - mg = ay > 0 . Is Fy - mg > 0 ?

If that's not the case, then your solution with ay = 0 is correct.

Why will the normal force be zero? If anything the normal force will be Fn = ma(y) + mg -Fy...

I still don't understand.

hri12 said:
Why will the normal force be zero? If anything the normal force will be Fn = ma(y) + mg -Fy...

I still don't understand.
I may not have stated that too clearly.

Why is there any normal force? It's there because the surface of the table keeps the book from accelerating downward through the surface. So the surface exerts whatever force is needed for this to be the case.

The normal force cannot be negative. If it were, it would be pulling down on the book.

If ay is positive, then the book is no longer on the surface of the table thus no normal force

So basically because the book isn't moving in the y direction? That makes sense.

Thank you so much btw for all of your help. :)

Related to How Does Force Angle Affect Book Acceleration with Friction?

1. What is the difference between scalar and vector quantities in 2D kinematics?

In 2D kinematics, scalar quantities refer to those that have only magnitude, such as distance and speed. On the other hand, vector quantities have both magnitude and direction, such as displacement and velocity.

2. How do you calculate the resultant vector in 2D kinematics?

The resultant vector in 2D kinematics is the vector sum of two or more vectors. To calculate it, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the resultant vector and trigonometric functions to find its direction.

3. Can two vectors with the same magnitude and opposite directions cancel each other out?

Yes, when two vectors have the same magnitude but opposite directions in 2D kinematics, they are known as equal and opposite vectors. When added together, they will cancel out each other and result in a zero vector.

4. How do you handle displacement and velocity in 2D kinematics?

In 2D kinematics, displacement and velocity are both vector quantities. This means that they have both magnitude and direction. To handle them, you can use vector addition and subtraction to calculate the final displacement or velocity.

5. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity in 2D kinematics?

Average velocity in 2D kinematics is the total displacement divided by the total time taken, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific moment in time. Average velocity gives an overall picture of an object's motion, while instantaneous velocity gives information about its motion at a particular point in time.